prisoners graveyard

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
alright, heres three from last night, it was foggy, and the other photog i was with chose this location.

there very similar, and i wasn't really feeling it, there are buildings just out of the frame, so i could shoot with more sky without losing that isolated feeling.

there not great, but here they are anyways.

oh yeah, and this is were prisoners from texas go when nobody will claim there bodies after they die. (lots of these guys were on death row here)

213037419.jpg

213037414.jpg

213037409.jpg

I really like #1, but I've got one criticism:

The left side on the cross is TOO close to the edge of the pic--nitpicky, I know, but I think it makes a big difference.

yeah, its pretty sad to think about it. a lot of souls that never knew god, and probobly some innocent souls in there as well.

there was one tombstone under a tree that was big, not like the rest of them. it was the tombstone of "chief santania" or somthing like that. below his name it said "died by his own hand in" . . . it really makes me wonder. because mabye he was the wordan or somthing and his family didn't want to bury him with them bc he commited suicide.

or maybe he knew he was responsible for putting people in that graveyard who shouldn't have been there, and he commited suicide and requested to be buried with them.

in 1960 somthing they exhumed his bones and moved his body to fort sill.

i'll have to go back and learn about it.

I believe the guy you're talking about is Chief Santana. He was imprisoned at Huntsville State Prison in 1874 and committed suicide 4 years later by jumping out of a second-story window of the prison hospital. In 1963 his remains were relocated to Fort Sill to be buried next to his friend and wartime companion Satank.

Very interesting story. I'd love to see a shot of his former resting place to put an image with the story.

thats the guy, i'll have to go back and get a pic of it.

Very nice...diggin these. Love the comp and the tone you have. The story is cool too.

Nicely Done. What time of night were these taken? Late dusk or was it total darkness. These are great!

thanks, and it was taken in complete darkness, however some light painting was incorporated and there were some lights on the horizon that made the fog appear the way it did in the distance

I agree that these photos are very thought provoking! Very spooky & creepy and the fog just adds that much more to the photos. Great job!!

Yeah that is a sad thought. There's a Prison Cemetery near me too, but the stones are all flat faced stones with names and years on them. And that's it. Almost looks like a Potter's Field. Someone told me that there were just numbers on them, like the prisoner's uniform numbers while they were still incarcerated. That's not true of course, but it's still sad.

Great pictures here, nice job capturing the emotion of the graveyard. ^^ Keep it up! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back