Pro photo lab vs average joe supermarket film dropoff box (pardon me)

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I simply dont know. I know that you you have more options in development at a photo shop but what is there really to know for me? How much more does it realyl give me? School me please.

I use Millers Lab online. Great work, Tons of options.

can anyone give me more in-depth info on this? I am trying to understand the quality differences(and everything else) here..

Here is a article that can explain things pretty well www.danheller.com/tech-prints.html
I hope this helps

First, you need to understand that the employee running you local print machine may not always be the same so consistency is out the door in most cases at the local wallie world or it's like.

Having said that there is only one way for you to know and that's to test it.

Get two rolls of the same film and take them to a place with both shadows and sunlight and shoot them both up on the same scenes (shoot one roll on a set of scenes and then the other on the same set) within about 15 to 30 minutes of each other and make sure that the lighting conditions are about the same.

Take one roll to your local place and send off the other. When the other gets back compare them and you will have your answer. Remembering the first point of course. ;)

the pro photo lab is not just a lab, it also sells equipment and i the best in town (they say) but its also expensive..they develop your pics by hand, that kinda stuff..however, i wouldnt really know too much about this so i need to find out, heh..

If you want real pro-quality prints I would go to the pro place. I haven't ever dealt with one of these places though, I develop all my prints myself and wouldn't have it another way. Can you give a roll to this pro-photo lab and have them change contrast, burn, dodge, and other techniques? Also does this pro-photo lab use high quality paper? That's another thing to think about: having your shots on some nice matte Illford.

Consistency.

A friend of mine manages Silvano Colour Lab ... they continuously run test on their systems to ensure that everything is balanced. They maintain a consistent output quality on their printing.
Everything is based on a standard ... so what you get from them a month ago is exactly what you get today.

If you want real pro-quality prints I would go to the pro place. I haven't ever dealt with one of these places though, I develop all my prints myself and wouldn't have it another way. Can you give a roll to this pro-photo lab and have them change contrast, burn, dodge, and other techniques? Also does this pro-photo lab use high quality paper? That's another thing to think about: having your shots on some nice matte Illford.

I just checked. Yes to all. I guess this is the place to go then, eh ;)

Most reactions

Back