Pro Shoot (Wedding) and Photo Ownership?

dmtx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please help with a debate with a semi-pro photographer.

When one hires a photographers to shoot an event, like a Wedding, who, by default, owns the photos? Some photographers assume ownership, even though they were paid to shoot the event.

I assume that the client/photographer contracts needs to address this issue.

Thanks

I'm guessing this is why a contract is signed. One that clearly states who owns the photos...

I own every image I take. A couple hiring me to shoot their wedding has no more "rights" to my work than a family hiring me for a portrait session. That being said, my contract clearly spells this out for both situations. Having a clear contract is, IMO the single most important aspect of the business end.

It depends on where you are, and how your contract is written. In Canada, unless specifically stated and acknowledged in a contract, copyright belongs to the person who is paying for the work. I believe, in the US, that the photographer by default retains copyright unless specified otherwise.

It depends on where you are, and how your contract is written. In Canada, unless specifically stated and acknowledged in a contract, copyright belongs to the person who is paying for the work. I believe, in the US, that the photographer by default retains copyright unless specified otherwise.
Bingo!

No contract required for "bingo". LOL!

It needs to be spelled out in a contract and explained to the client.

For instance, my clients are aware that they have print rights, but NOT the copyright.

I reserve the rights to sell the photos, use them in marketing, blog them, facebook them, and use them for general publication.

What they have a right to is to print as many photos as they want. They do NOT have the right to send them to publications or third party vendors.

Please help with a debate with a semi-pro photographer.

When one hires a photographers to shoot an event, like a Wedding, who, by default, owns the photos? Some photographers assume ownership, even though they were paid to shoot the event.

I assume that the client/photographer contracts needs to address this issue.

Thanks
Visit www.copyright.gov for the particulars. By default - the photographer owns the copyright here in the USA.

By the way: Here in the US the copyright is good for the life of the author/photographer/etc, plus 70 years after the author/photographer/etc's death, so the copyright can be wiled to the heirs.

in short, the copyright to a single photo can be quite valuable (ie, expensive to buy).

Last edited:
So in Canada, the owner of the photos is the one whom pays for them?

unless specifically stated and acknowledged in a contract
I should pay more attention :lmao:

I state in my contract that clients retain non-commercial printing rights only. As stated a few times it's never good to have this type of thing left as an assumption. Even though in the US we retain the rights to the photos, I still have it spelled out in the contract. This way it leaves no room for misinterpretation. The clients aren't the ones doing the work, posing, post processing, using my equipment. I would feel very slighted if a client entered a photo I took into a magazine or gained some monetary value from the photo.

Contract, contract, CLEAR contract :). If you have to spell everything out do it.

Depends on the contract. Do you have one?

I noticed that any "work specially ordered or commissioned for use as a contribution to a collective work", could be considered as owned by the one who commissioned the work. I wonder if this has ever been evoked to show ownership of pics. of a party, wedding?;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back