Pro wedding photos to pro videographer!?

alexoat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a professional wedding photographer (9yrs), I was recently contacted by a videographer from a wedding we worked together. They asked me if they could purchase a few photos to use in the video for the client. I said sure, please check out the online gallery and send me a list of photos you would like. They sent me the list of.... 305 images. Is that crazy? I was expecting 25. In my 9 yrs of experience this is the 1st time I have been asked this.
Is this normal?
should I put a limit on the number of photos I give to videographer?
videograpehrs out there.... Is this amount of images normal?
What should I charge? Even though part of me does not want to give this random guy 305 of my images.

feedback greatly appreciated!!

He wants some of your photos just for his video for that client? What in the world is he going to do with 300?? I don't do weddings but this sounds, well, strange. I suppose I'd ask for more specifics on what the usage would be. I would think the pricing for that many photos would be way too high to even be practical for a videographer to use in one video (more than what he's getting paid to do video of the wedding wouldn't you think?)

Wonder if his video didn't turn out and he's trying to figure out a way to provide a video to the client. Who knows, that just popped into my mind trying to figure out what in the world he'd do with 300 of your photos. Maybe negotiate a price for a reasonable number? tell him you're not interested in licensing that many of your photos from one wedding?? Ya got me.

Wonder if his video didn't turn out and he's trying to figure out a way to provide a video to the client.

I used to do wedding videos about 8 years ago and that is the only reason I can think of why the videographer would later contact the photographer asking foe photos.

I would probably call the client and see if they have any idea why the videographer would be wanting 300 images from their wedding.

Wonder if his video didn't turn out and he's trying to figure out a way to provide a video to the client.

This was my first thought!

Sounds like they need to fess up and give a you a fair price so they can cover their asses.

Like others said... his video probably came out as crap.
I wouldn't license that many images. You can put a slide show together to music yourself and make a profit since his video turned out bad. I would not let someone else profit on my work.

I think the best thing to do, would be to have a talk with the videographer and just plain ask him why so many images and why they plan to do with them. If he is willing to be honest and upfront, then you can discuss some options.

On one hand, you don't want to just hand over your work so that they can pass it off as their own, but on the other hand, you are (assuming) both professionals who are trying to give a good product to the client.

Maybe his memory cards were stolen or corrupted, maybe something else unforeseen happened and he doesn't have enough or any usable footage. You won't know unless you ask.

If that's the case, maybe it changes the way you look at it. You certainly don't have to, but there could certainly be some benefits that come from helping out a fellow professional. You never know when you will be the one who needs help.

No way would I give that many images to the videographer. Maybe 10-15 at the most!

I thought of that too Mike but I don't think the OP knows this videographer. I agree it would be a good idea to see what you could find out about why the person wants so many photos. If it was a videographer you knew and the person was being straightforward about what happened then it might be an option to work something out (maybe present it to the client as having been done by both of you?? and figure out costs/payments). Hard to know what you'd be dealing with, if it'd be worth trying to collaborate or if you'd end up being sorry you ever gave/sold them any of your photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back