Probably a dumb question...

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my Canon 30D for about 3 years now (bought brand new) but it seems like lately the camera isn't taking pictures as quickly as it used to. I hold the shutter down part way to get my focal point and then go to push it the rest of the way and it WON'T TAKE THE DAM PICTURE!!! I don't remember having this problem so much in the past. The reason why I spent so much money on a camera and a nice lens was so that I could snap a picture when I wanted to not when the stupid point-and-shoot camera decided it wanted to. I mostly take pictures of my toddler/preschooler and I'm missing shots because my camera isn't shooting when I want it to. Is there something simple that I could be doing differently? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Is there a chance that you shutter button is going bad? My 40D just came back from a warranty repair on this. The half press worked fine, but the full press/shutter release was intermittent. They of course agreed it was the button and replaced it for free (under warranty).

Are you certain that the camera is actually focusing? It's possible that the lens is hunting for focus, and gives up somewhere close enough to "in focus" that you don't notice it -- but the camera knows, and refuses to take the shot. It's just my first idea (other than Montana's, above).

Are you certain that the camera is actually focusing? It's possible that the lens is hunting for focus, and gives up somewhere close enough to "in focus" that you don't notice it -- but the camera knows, and refuses to take the shot. It's just my first idea (other than Montana's, above).

Often I release the shutter button and try refocusing again to see if it works and sometimes it does, but sometimes it just refuses to snap. Is there anything I can do to test this? If I took the camera off of "auto focus" should it just shoot without regards to "being in focus" and therefore prove if it's the button or not?

Ok, it must be the button! I put it on manual and it wouldn't snap a picture. I hate to say I'm relieved, but I kind of am. I started to question whether I knew what I was doing. I bought it from B & H. Does anyone know if I contact THEM or Canon? I saw that Samanax suggested taking it to a Canon Service Center so I will try to google and see what I can find in my area and maybe call to ask them what to do..

Montana: Just out of curiosity, how long did it take to get your camera back. I hate the thought of being without it!

Thanks again for your help.

Most reactions

Back