Problem Purchasing Prints

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's a question - how would you have handled this scenario?

I had free promo print codes (a couple of free 8x10s) for a drug store I do shop at but don't normally purchase prints from, so I loaded my account and my mother's account with the free prints.

I went to pick up the prints and am met with a clerk who looks at the package and refuses to hand them to me - "they are professional prints," she says. They need a release. Implicit in her tone is that I am stealing prints, and she seems rather proud of herself for foiling this devious plot. I explain that no, I took them myself and I can sign whatever they want me to. No, she says, they need a release from the photographer. I explain they are not pro prints, they are my own prints of my own children and I have the original files if they are interested in seeing them. "But they have a backdrop" she says. I explain it is an old bedsheet in my living room and ask to speak to the manager. Same business from the manager - they need a release from the real photographer and I may not have my prints until then.

I left - no prints.

Same thing with my mother's prints. She went to pick hers up and got the same business.

Now, they were free, no financial crisis, but as far as the scenario goes, what do you think? They kept stressing their liability, but they prints had no watermark or any other indications of being actual professional prints. Legally, there was no reason for them to suspect copyright violation other than that they were somewhat better than your average drugstore prints, as adjudged by a very young, seemingly uneducated, somewhat snotty clerk.

Thoughts?

So here's a question - how would you have handled this scenario?

I had free promo print codes (a couple of free 8x10s) for a drug store I do shop at but don't normally purchase prints from, so I loaded my account and my mother's account with the free prints.

I went to pick up the prints and am met with a clerk who looks at the package and refuses to hand them to me - "they are professional prints," she says. They need a release. Implicit in her tone is that I am stealing prints, and she seems rather proud of herself for foiling this devious plot. I explain that no, I took them myself and I can sign whatever they want me to. No, she says, they need a release from the photographer. I explain they are not pro prints, they are my own prints of my own children and I have the original files if they are interested in seeing them. "But they have a backdrop" she says. I explain it is an old bedsheet in my living room and ask to speak to the manager. Same business from the manager - they need a release from the real photographer and I may not have my prints until then.

I left - no prints.

Same thing with my mother's prints. She went to pick hers up and got the same business.

Now, they were free, no financial crisis, but as far as the scenario goes, what do you think? They kept stressing their liability, but they prints had no watermark or any other indications of being actual professional prints. Legally, there was no reason for them to suspect copyright violation other than that they were somewhat better than your average drugstore prints, as adjudged by a very young, seemingly uneducated, somewhat snotty clerk.

Thoughts?

Take it as a compliment. They believe that your images are professional quality. As far as a release goes they are protecting themselves.

I know, it's oddly flattering and insulting at the same time, lol.

But I offered a release, which they refused.

On a side note, these are cute prints of my kids, but technically, they are not that good, certainly not my best. It seems that that images with the cutest smiles and expressions always have technical flaws - it's maddening.

Take it as a compliment. They believe that your images are professional quality. As far as a release goes they are protecting themselves.

i have to agree with this statement. not only are they protecting themselves, they are protecting the professional also (even though it's you). and this is what we have been asking for ..... better ways for copyright protection. once again laws hamper with our civil liberties, even though it's legal. might want to think about putting a watermark on your photos and draw up a release with the same watermark on it for future use. i would also take it as a compliment, i know it doesn't help you with the photos, but it might help with the stress.

A simple method I use is adding my copyright to every file I prep for print.

Like this:

John M. Stuedle
© 2009
all rights reserved

Then it's a simple matter of producing your I.D.

You ran into a dumbass, but if your photos are that good they deserve good printing; take/send them them to a full service lab. Mpix.com is probably as cheap or cheaper than your local drug store.

The metadata probably has your camera's serial number listed. If you keep having problems that should be one way to prove you took the photos.

Take a copy of the release form, fill it out at home and then bring it in to them.

If you don't fill it out in front of them they shouldn't question the release.

Like this:

John M. Stuedle
© 2009
all rights reserved

Great idea. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the responses and for letting me vent my frustration.

Like this:

John M. Stuedle
© 2009
all rights reserved

Not that I think anyone will confuse my prints as coming from a professional, nor does Adorama or MPix question, but this is a good idea. I just have to figure out how to do that...

There may be some day that I try out Walmart or something. I'd love for them to refuse my prints, then produce ID that matches the file.

Not that I think anyone will confuse my prints as coming from a professional, nor does Adorama or MPix question, but this is a good idea. I just have to figure out how to do that....

I use the text feature in Photoshop. To get the © symbol just hold down the ALT key and on the numeric keypad enter 0169 . When you release the ALT key the copyright symbol in entered. FTR, I usually use a smaller font font the third line than the first two. I think it looks better and a little less distracting.

I don't have that problem personally, The staff at the local drugstore are almost all know me by name and are well aware of my work. Even when I really out do myself there is no question asked.

I use the text feature in Photoshop. To get the © symbol just hold down the ALT key and on the numeric keypad enter 0169 . When you release the ALT key the copyright symbol in entered. FTR, I usually use a smaller font font the third line than the first two. I think it looks better and a little less distracting.
Ah! I was thinking you meant in the file metadata, not on the photo it's self.

Most reactions

Back