Problem with NEF..

bullshark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I have Photoshop CS and I'm trying to use it to process my NEF's.. All I get is an error message that says wrong type of file.. Can anyone shed some light on this? The extension is there as part of the RAW file type group, but it just wont open mine..

You need to download the latest version of 'Adobe Camera RAW' for Photoshop CS. Each camera's RAW files are different and need the updated/compatible version of ACR.

thanks! is it free? or do i have to pony up some dough?

****NEVERMIND! GOT IT THANKS*****

WTF? Says its not compatible with anything earlier than CS3.. I'm using CS.. They dont have a download for CS.. Am I missing something?

What camera do you have?

It's not unheard of that your camera's RAW files may not be compatible with the older version of Photoshop. Did you look for the latest version of A.C.R. that is compatible with CS? That version may be compatible with your camera.

If it still doesn't work, you may have a few different options. Firstly, you may be able to get a discount on a new version of Photoshop. Contact you camera's manufacturer...some are probably able to give you a 'coupon' of sorts. I recently purchased a Wacom Tablet which also gave me the opportunity for a pretty good discount on CS3.

However, like many others, I have found that using Photoshop (and ACR) to process RAW files, is not the best way to do it. Adobe has a program called Lightroom, which is much better for processing RAW files than ACR. There are other RAW programs...Capture One, for example.

Also, practically every camera that shoots RAW, will ship with software for opening the RAW files. You simply use that software to open and adjust the images, then save them as JPEG or TIFF...then open them in the version of Photoshop that you have.

What camera do you have?

It's not unheard of that your camera's RAW files may not be compatible with the older version of Photoshop. Did you look for the latest version of A.C.R. that is compatible with CS? That version may be compatible with your camera.

If it still doesn't work, you may have a few different options. Firstly, you may be able to get a discount on a new version of Photoshop. Contact you camera's manufacturer...some are probably able to give you a 'coupon' of sorts. I recently purchased a Wacom Tablet which also gave me the opportunity for a pretty good discount on CS3.

However, like many others, I have found that using Photoshop (and ACR) to process RAW files, is not the best way to do it. Adobe has a program called Lightroom, which is much better for processing RAW files than ACR. There are other RAW programs...Capture One, for example.

Also, practically every camera that shoots RAW, will ship with software for opening the RAW files. You simply use that software to open and adjust the images, then save them as JPEG or TIFF...then open them in the version of Photoshop that you have.

I looked at the version of ACR that added the D80 (his camera) and it is incompatable with CS.

yea, i checked last night also.. Its a no go. And I cant upgrade to CS3 for cheap cause, well.. my copy of CS fell off the back of a truck on the LIE. It's no big deal anymore though because I've been enlightened to alternative methods of processing RAW files and I'll just use CS or Elements to edit the converted jpegs.. Thanks for the diligence though..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back