Problem with shutter maybe?

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had some weird pics out of my camera periodically.

Below are a couple examples.

I can assure you that there is nothing blocking the lense and the flashes went off.

I am at a loss as to the problem. PLease help me figure this one out!

shutterprob1.jpg

This was shot using the Canon 100mm macro with a Canon Xt on a tripod.

shutterprob2.jpg

This was shot using the Canon 50mm f 1.8 with a Canon Xt on a tripod.

In some of these weird shots you can see some more detail in the shadow if you crank up the exposure, but not all of them.

These shots are unedited except for resizing and saving as jpg.

Thanks for the help!

Explain your flash set up further. The problem lies there.

Your shutter speed was too fast for using flash.

When using flash, you need to keep the shutter speed at or slower than your max sync speed, otherwise the shutter will be partially closed in the instant that the flash fires...leaving you with an underexposed area in the image.

I think your max sync speed is 1/200...so keep it under that when using flash.

Thanks Adam, I was using cactus triggers with 2 shoot through umbrellason left, one right.

hhhmmmm Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head Mike!

I checked all the other ones that showed the same problem and they were at 1/200th sec.

I would have thought I would be safe at 1/200th, but that is the max sync speed.

Thanks

When using flash, you need to keep the shutter speed at or slower than your max sync speed, otherwise the shutter will be partially closed in the instant that the flash fires...leaving you with an underexposed area in the image.

Awwww, I wanted to say that!

:lmao:

To OP; Good job on learning something new today :thumbup:

When using something like the Cactus triggers...there may often be additional delays...so you need to use an even slower shutter speed. Stick to 1/160 or 1/125 and you shouldn't have any problems.

Stick the shutter speed as low as you want neither subject is moving/alive so no real need for flash either, unless the studio is as it should be, dark. H

Thanks again Big Mike

Harry, I used flash on these to combat the bad shadowing that I was getting with ambient lights.

Thanks Adam, I was using cactus triggers with 2 shoot through umbrellason left, one right.

Weak batteries in the transmitter/receivers.

You should easily get 1/200th with the Cactus V2s setup.

So you're saying shutter speed is faster than the speed of light? :scratch:

Don't believe all you read on wilkipedia, yes leaf shutters can be used with flash at all shutter speeds but as far as I know leaf shutters were capable of 1/500sec and no faster. H

Most reactions

Back