Problems with D80 & Manual 50mm f1.8 lens

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have owned a Nikon D80 for a little while and really enjoying the amazing pictures it takes. I've been using the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikkor 24-120mm f3.5-5.6D AF lens with great success.

I was wanting to dab a little in macro so I bought a reversing ring and a cheap Nikkor 50mm f1.8 manual lens. Using all manual, I will get my subject in focus, snap the pic and have it coming out blurry. I thought the shutter may be too slow for hand-held, so I took the lens off and put it on correctly. I took some shots of a well lit subject with a fast shutter speed and the subject came out blurry even though they were in focus with the view finder.

Can someone help me with what is going on?

Thanks!
Neuner
[/FONT]

Turn it on auto-focus?

First off, it's a manual lens as he stated. 2nd, I say look at your di-opter settings. Put on an autofocus and mount to a tripod. Autofocus on somehting very high contrast (a thin strip of black paper taped to a white wall with the autofocus point right across the line of contrast). Then look therough the viewfinder and adjust the diopter wheel untill the line of contrast is as fine as can be, now your viewfinder is set to match your eyes. Use said eyes to manual focus on the 50, if it doesn't work............. I don't know what's wrong.

Very well. Sell the "manual" lens and trade it in for an equally cheap AF one. Seems silly to buy an expensive camera and not invest SOME cash into a suitable lens for it.

First off, it's a manual lens as he stated. 2nd, I say look at your di-opter settings.

Thank you. I was questioning the di-opter but didn't know enough to be sure. I'll give your test a go around and hope it fixes the problem. Also, thank you for reading my post all of the way through and recognizing why I bought a manual lens. I can't stand people who post just to get their post count up and not being beneficial to anyone.

Also, thank you for reading my post all of the way through and recognizing why I bought a manual lens. I can't stand people who post just to get their post count up and not being beneficial to anyone.

Oh boohoo for you. Sorry I wasn't aware they made a "MANUAL" 50MM prime, or that you lens was different than the one everyone recommends/has. Get thicker skin or get off the internetz. Sheesh -

And yea, TOTALLY racing to the post-count finish line.

No problem for reading full post but this forum is pretty peaceful. Let's just not fight guys, easy mistake.

ANDS! hardly does that. He just may be a little cynical at times. I fully agree with him though. The 500mm AF lens is the cheapest lens you can buy so it may be worth investing in.

When using the manual lens (is it an AI Nikkor like mine?) You should still be able to see the focus indicator light up in the bottom of the viewfinder if it is in a position where the camera's autofocus is capable of determining if the image is sharp or not, regardless of if the lens has a motor connection.

Cynical? Naw, im real - like from the street real, with just a dash of cynicism thrown in for good mea - . . .waitaminute. . .DAMNIT!:confused:

When using the manual lens (is it an AI Nikkor like mine?) You should still be able to see the focus indicator light up in the bottom of the viewfinder if it is in a position where the camera's autofocus is capable of determining if the image is sharp or not, regardless of if the lens has a motor connection.

The focus indicator will flash in & out but never stay constant.

I work in Construction so thick skin isn't a problem. I just don't like people who are either morons & can't read or just too lazy to read a post all of the way through before adding a dumb comment. Cynical? No Stupid.

I just don't like people who are either morons & can't read or just too lazy to read a post all of the way through before adding a dumb comment.

Again, for the kids in the cheap seats - I wasn't aware there was a difference between the 50MM's out there. If you want to keep the knuckle dragging, cyber e-peno slapping going - by all means, lets do so. . .or you can be man/woman up, accept my explanation and move on.

Something tells me a cute lil filly like you isn't going to take option B.

Something tells me a cute lil filly like you isn't going to take option B.

That's always the last argument of a pansy. You only provided sarcasm and no help so what was your real reason for posting?

Have owned a Nikon D80 for a little while and really enjoying the amazing pictures it takes. I've been using the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikkor 24-120mm f3.5-5.6D AF lens with great success.

I was wanting to dab a little in macro so I bought a reversing ring and a cheap Nikkor 50mm f1.8 manual lens. Using all manual, I will get my subject in focus, snap the pic and have it coming out blurry. I thought the shutter may be too slow for hand-held, so I took the lens off and put it on correctly. I took some shots of a well lit subject with a fast shutter speed and the subject came out blurry even though they were in focus with the view finder.

Can someone help me with what is going on?

Thanks!
Neuner
[/FONT]

i have the D50 and a 50mm f/1.8 MF nikon lens as well and was having a hard time with closeups the other day. sees like it'd be in focus in the viewfinder then in the pic it would not be in focus. like it was a bit off or something. very weird. don't know what the deal is!

Sorry to hear your having problems also, but I am glad that I'm not the only one with the issue.

Have you tried any of the tests by DSLR noob? I'm hoping to finally get some time tonight to try it out, but with having 3 kids under the age of 3 it can be difficult :confused:

yeah i'm at work now- i'll have to try em later!
still troubleshooting a problem i posted in the digital discussion too!

Most reactions

Back