Problems with my lens 70-300 VR

WolfSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For some reason when I zoom in with my 70-300 VR I can never get my shots in focus, or the colors are wrong, using the exact same settings with a 18-55 at a shorter zoome, or even using the 70-300 between 70-100 I am fine. I know first thing that comes to mind is camera shake, I used a tripod and tried all my different settings on the actual lens and can't seem to get it just right. My friend using the exact same setup as me, a D80 and nikkor 70-300 VR gets amazing shots, I used his same settings, stood right next to him and still was getting different shots. Could this be a camera issue? Or just simple operator head space? Also I was told if I put a VR on a tripod to turn off all VR functions or it will counterbalance and your shots may get blurred, is this fact or rumor? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

If you put it on a tripod, it is better to turn off VR/IS. However, I do think it is probably your lens...
Although...your camera has the autofocus motor built in...so maybe that affects it? I'm not sure...

If your buddy has the same lens, try it out on your body and compare the results. Can't hurt.

sideburns brouhgt up something about a smudge on my sensor/lens on one of my photos, could this be the problem?

Can we see one of the photos in question?

You do have some dust on your sensor visible in almost every shot. It is especially visible on the shots of the sky.

It could very well be your version of the 70-300VR. Could we see one of your "failed" shots with the lens? Your camera could also have different settings (ISO, metering, exposure compensation, etc.) than your friend's, so copying his exposure may not be the fix for the problem.

Most reactions

Back