Daf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dafshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

I'm a complete novice to photography, but learning more everyday! I generally shoot local motocross races in our area. I no longer race myself so this allows me to both stay involved in the sport and give a little back ( I do not, at this time, charge for the photos).

I bought the D40 as an entry level camera when I started shooting the races and it's served me well. I got the 18-55mm lens with the kit and bought the 55-200mm separately. The 55-200mm has been my workhorse and I am happy with the results. I felt the need, and got some advice, to get a profession lens, a "fast" lens and I finally did pull the trigger on a used Nikon AF-S 80-200mm f:2.8 D. Wow! I love this lens! It's sharper and with the larger aperature I'm getting really good results even on overcast days - not to mention the all the other benefits of a professional piece of glass!

Okay - sorry for the prologue/introduction above - here's the problem. The Nikon AF-S 80-200mm f:2.8 D is giving me fits with the auto focus. I can't tell if it's something I'm not doing right - like a setting or something - or if the lens may be malfunctioning. When I depress the shutter button halfway to set the focus sometimes the AS doesn't budge. I have found that if I reach up and nudge (slight turn) the manual focus ring then try again it works fine. This is not all the time - say about 20% of the shots do me this way. You can imaging the frustration with such a fast paced sport - I need the AF to lock in and stay locked. But sometimes I'm hitting the shutter and it just stays blurry (out of focus) - yikes! The lens has the M/A|M setting and that is set to M/A. These is another setting below that one that says Full - then the infinity symbol. I do not know what that one does. I did not get any instructions or a manual for the lens (can one be downloaded?).

Anyone have one of these and can give me some advice on the issue? I would greatly appreciate it! I never had that problem with the consumer 55-200mm lens so I'm hoping this is a user-error thing. ;)

Thank you so much! I put my current gear in my sig.
Daf

That switch is a focus limiting switch. It's used to reduce the range of focus so that the lens can focus faster. I'm not 100% familiar with that specific lens though, so I can't tell you the specifics of how much it limits it.

As far as your issue, make sure you have your camera set to AF-C (continuous AF, used to track moving subjects), and the other setting, if I remember correctly (I had a d40 a few years back) should be set to AF-S, as opposed to MF or AF-A.

It sounds like your issue might be in the lens itself. try using a pencil eraser to gently rub the CP-U contacts on the back of the lens. It could be that they are dirty and not getting a good signal from the camera body.

Also, give Nikon support a call, it's free and they're usually pretty helpful: 1-800-645-6687

Thanks, Destin! I'll try cleaning the contacts, if that doesn't help I'll give Nikon a call - thanks for the number!

Thanks for the download link, KmH! Much appreciated! :)

Daf

Update - I found the contacts were pretty clean but gave them a go with the pencil eraser anyway. I called Nikon and they ran me through several things to try to determine of the AF motor was functioning properly. It was so I guess the behavior I described is normal, somewhat annoying but normal. I notice, too, that it constantly chattering - I guess it's continuously focusing even as I move from shot spot to spot. Anyway - thanks again for the help with this. :)

Clean the contacts with the other end of the pencil. The graphite is a conductor, and you don't have to worry about eraser debris winding up on your image sensor.

KmH said:
Clean the contacts with the other end of the pencil. The graphite is a conductor, and you don't have to worry about eraser debris winding up on your image sensor.

Really?! I've NEVER heard that. Everybody I've ever talked to reccomended using the eraser end. Obviously you'd blow off the contacts with a rocket blower before reattaching the lens just to be sure.

I bought the D40as an entry level camera when I started shooting the races and it's served me well. I got the 18-55mm lens with the kit and bought the 55-200mm separately. The 55-200mm has been my workhorse and I am happy with the results. I felt the need, and got some advice, to get a profession lens, a "fast" lens and I finally did pull the trigger on a used Nikon AF-S 80-200mm f:2.8 D. Wow! I love this lens! It's sharper and with the larger aperature I'm getting really good results even on overcast days - not to mention the all the other benefits of a professional piece of glass!
Daf

OK you say you have a D40 and the 80-200 f/2.8D won't AF..???.
The reason why is because the 80-200 AF-D is a screw drive AF and relies on the drive motor in the camera to allow the AF to work, unlike the AF-S lenses that have the focus motor in the lens.
So I don't know why you have gotten any shots that were in focus because the D40 has NO DRIVE Motor in the camera body and CANT drive the AF in this lens. Unlike the 18-55 & 55-200 which are both AF-S lenses...

All the base model Nikon Cameras don't have a AF screw drive motor, and any AF-D lens has to be manually focused on them.
As for some of your shots being in focus, well I'm guessing that you were just lucky that the lens was at the correct focus when you pushed the shutter...
Hope this helps you....

Hi SoxOZ - thanks for the reply

When I depress the shutter button halfway to set the focus sometimes the AS doesn't budge. I have found that if I reach up and nudge (slight turn) the manual focus ring then try again it works fine. This is not all the time - say about 20% of the shots do me this way.

The lens does AF - and does it well. I can hear the motor and watch the focus come in through the VF. The focus is sharp and fast. There is no doubt that the body and lens work together with the AF. The problem is about 15 to 20% of the time it doesn't AF until I rotate the MF a bit - then it snaps into focus. It's a minor inconvenience considering the excellent photos it yields but can be somewhat frustrating. I have yet to call Nikon about it, I guess I should. Thanks

Hi SoxOZ - thanks for the reply

When I depress the shutter button halfway to set the focus sometimes the AS doesn't budge. I have found that if I reach up and nudge (slight turn) the manual focus ring then try again it works fine. This is not all the time - say about 20% of the shots do me this way.

The lens does AF - and does it well. I can hear the motor and watch the focus come in through the VF. The focus is sharp and fast. There is no doubt that the body and lens work together with the AF. The problem is about 15 to 20% of the time it doesn't AF until I rotate the MF a bit - then it snaps into focus. It's a minor inconvenience considering the excellent photos it yields but can be somewhat frustrating. I have yet to call Nikon about it, I guess I should. Thanks

I'm sorry if I seem a little bewildered by this, as even at Nikon USA site (Link to Page), any AF-D lens will not AF on a D40, it can't as there is no drive motor in the camera body..

Quote from Nikon's Page...

"Camera models such as the D5100, D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, and D40 do not have a built-in focusing motor and are smaller and lighter but will require an AF-S lens for autofocus. While these bodies can use a lens with no built-in focus motor, the user will have to manually turn the focus ring to bring the subject in to sharp focus."

I can't understand why your lens is capable of focusing on a D40... Guess you better contact Nikon and ask them the question...

This has to be the funniest thread I've seen since becoming a forum member, someone has managed to make an AF-D lens autofocus on a D40 without the in body motor! This can't be REAL?? :lol:

The op might be confusing an AF-S lens for an AF-D. By all accounts, the D40 is not one of nikon's best focussing beasties, and with only three af points it might struggle a bit to keep up with fast moving subjects.

The op might be confusing an AF-S lens for an AF-D. By all accounts, the D40 is not one of nikon's best focussing beasties, and with only three af points it might struggle a bit to keep up with fast moving subjects.
Ahh..!!! You could be right as there is a 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S and its a motha of a lens.

Guys - read the subject line and body text of original post: Nikon AF-S 80-200mm F:2.8 D. I have not referred to it as an AF-D anywhere in this thread. There should be no confusion here about whether it's an AF-S lens or not. That is not the issue. It AF on a D40. :wink:

By all accounts, the D40 is not one of nikon's best focussing beasties, and with only three af points it might struggle a bit to keep up with fast moving subjects.

This may be right on - we put the lens on my boss' D3 and it did not fail to focus at any point. So until I can upgrade bodies I will deal with the inconsistency in AF. :thumbup:

Thanks!
Daf

Daf, you must have the IF-ED model which is the latest 80-200 f2.8 just before Nikon started making the 70-200. That is a nice glass you have! The problem is you have an M16 nose with a watergun trigger. You need to upgrade to a used D200 or a D300. The focusing capability of the d40 can not keep up with the type of photography you're doing. D40 is good for taking pics of pets and the family's rascals running around. Definitely not for sports photography (no offense). If you really want to invest on a body, go for a D7000 or the D300s for a more pro feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back