Problems with Nikon AF-S 80-200mm f:2.8 D

ricbkewl said:
Daf, you must have the IF-ED model which is the latest 80-200 f2.8 just before Nikon started making the 70-200. That is a nice glass you have! The problem is you have an M16 nose with a watergun trigger. You need to upgrade to a used D200 or a D300. The focusing capability of the d40 can not keep up with the type of photography you're doing. D40 is good for taking pics of pets and the family's rascals running around. Definitely not for sports photography (no offense). If you really want to invest on a body, go for a D7000 or the D300s for a more pro feel.

Just to add on to this, if your tight on cash, a used d200 would serve you great. It's a more pro body, and has roughly the same IQ as a d40. They go on eBay all day every day for around $400. You could probably get $200-250 for your d40 so the upgrade would only cost you $150-200. And you'd be getting a camera that's 10 times better for what you're shooting.

ricbkewl, I think you are right on. Like I mentioned earlier when we tried the lens with my boss' D3 it worked flawlessly everytime. While, in it's defense, the D40 did a great job with most of the action shots I really do need to upgrade. I actually ordered the D7000 earlier this morning - will be getting the battery grip as well. (Does anyone know if the battery grip adds to the fps?) The D7000 has 3 times the fps rate, 39 as opposed to 3 focus points, bigger engine under the hood ... and more. The D40 served me well for several years.

Destin - thank you so much for the suggestion on the D200. I have the budget now for a new D7000 and think that may be the best upgrade for now. Got my eye on my boss' D3 when he upgrades tho.

Thanks again!

Guys - read the subject line and body text of original post: Nikon AF-S 80-200mm F:2.8 D. I have not referred to it as an AF-D anywhere in this thread. There should be no confusion here about whether it's an AF-S lens or not. That is not the issue. It AF on a D40. :wink:
This may be right on - we put the lens on my boss' D3 and it did not fail to focus at any point. So until I can upgrade bodies I will deal with the inconsistency in AF. :thumbup:
Thanks!
Daf

Congrats on getting the D7000 (well, when its delivered)...
Sorry about the mix up, guess we're all blind and just saw the "D" part, now that's all straightened out, you just need to go to Nikon site and download the D7k manual and read all about it..
Just to let you know, you can download the non printable version without a camera serial number, but it's still worth doing...

Look forward to seeing some shots from your new setup especially with the 80-200 AF-S, as it's one ripper of a lens... :thumbup:
Again sorry for the confusion on my part, guess I need to open my eye's a little more... :blushing:... :raisedbrow::D...

Congrats on the D7000 this will be a great workhorse for you!

Thanks! Can't wait for delivery ... wait ... was that the UPS truck? Nah false alarm. ;)

Most reactions

Back