Problems with Photoshop Image Colors After 'Save As Jpeg'

rockstarsmasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am using a 5d Mark 2 and shooting in RAW.

I open them up in Lightroom and edit for exposures.

Then I open them from Lightroom to Photoshop CS6.

After I'm done with my editing I try go to 'SAVE AS' to save as a jpeg.

The problem is that it looks fine but when I expand to full view on my monitor the color changes to a dull color.

However, when I go to 'SAVE FOR WEB' instead it does not effect my color and saves it just fine.

What's happening?

I have my 'mode' set for RGB, 16 bit, Profoto.

Is something messed up in my settings for 'COLOR'?

Or messed up in the setting for 'PROOF'?

Please help.

Thanks!
$IMG_1495.jpg

I think you need to "Assign Color Profile sRGB" to the JPEg images you are exporting. Your issue comes up about weekly it seems.

I've experienced this issue myself before.

I tried. That just makes it into the 'dull color'

What do I do now?

You have a color space compatibility issue.

Lightroom uses a color space very similar to ProPhoto RGB. ProPhoto RGB is Lightroom's default export color space.

In Photoshop, up on the applications Bar you need to click on Edit > Convert to Profile and then select sRGB.

ConvertToProfile.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much KmH!!!!! You are brilliant! It worked!

However, if Lightroom's default is ProPhoto, then would switching it to sRGB degrade the quality of the file?

Please explain. Thanks! :)

Thanks so much KmH!!!!! You are brilliant! It worked!

However, if Lightroom's default is ProPhoto, then would switching it to sRGB degrade the quality of the file?

Please explain. Thanks! :)

No.

Lightroom defaults to ProPhoto as the best option color space to use during the conversion process from a raw file to an RGB photo. The ProPhoto color space is very large and during that conversion process we want as much headroom as possible. Think of what your doing as working your way down through a funnel. It's not a well designed funnel if the top opening is smaller than the middle. The ProPhoto color space is larger than your display can handle. In other words the ProPhoto color space allows for the existence of colors that your display can't come close to reproducing. In fact your display is probably only capable of somewhere between 80-90% of the sRGB color space and a print would have even less color. So thinking again of a funnel we start with all the color in the real world and pour that into the top of the funnel. The top of the funnel is the camera sensor's recording capacity. From there we work our way down the funnel to the print at the bottom. The trick is managing what finally comes out of the bottom of the funnel.

Joe

Most reactions

Back