Processing chips

mickmac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone.

Hoping you can help. We have been given the go ahead to upgrade from the Nikon D700 to the D800.

This was all set to go until the question was asked about camera companies make processing chips with different grades of quality. Something about the grade that goes in cameras sent to Australia are of a lesser quality than the grade of chips being used for cameras in other countries.

Any info on this?

Last edited:
you needed a physician to give you the okay to upgrade your camera body? does MD mean something different, than Medical Doctor, down there?

I've never heard of what he's talking about from any camera manufacturer....since he's a MD, does he happen to be a proctologist? because it sounds like he's just pulling this info out of his @ss...

if he's demanding proof to disprove his theory, does he have any proof to back it up?

you needed a physician to give you the okay to upgrade your camera body? does MD mean something different, than Medical Doctor, down there?

I've never heard of what he's talking about from any camera manufacturer....since he's a MD, does he happen to be a proctologist? because it sounds like he's just pulling this info out of his @ss...

if he's demanding proof to disprove his theory, does he have any proof to back it up?

Managing Director

Last edited:
ah. okay...I was really wondering why you had to get permission from a doctor to upgrade your camera body, I thought maybe you had a quack Ophthalmologist or something hahah

never the less, did he provide any supporting evidence for his theory? it kindof sounds like he doesn't REALLY want to have you upgrade is is making up some BS reason not to spend the money.

Putting seconds in a camera would cost far more in lawsuits and bad publicity than could ever be made up in savings on parts.

The bad pub alone could knock Nikon into oblivion.

IOW NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

This was all set to go until he started telling us that camera companies make processing chips with different grades of quality.
Any ideas?
1. Doing so would significantly increase their manufacturing costs and eat into profits. So it would be a really, really, stupid practice from a business financial perspective.
2. Stocking of the differing chip inventory would also cost more, again eating into profits.
3. Final assembly would not be as efficient which would also add cost and diminish already razor-thin profit margins.
4. It's doubtful Nkon (or Canon) actually make a profit selling prosumer and pro grade cameras, because the volume sold is so very much lower than the volume of entry-level cameras sold.

The camera's image processing chip is the second most expensive chip to make, after the image sensor.
I suspect your MD has no idea how complex and expensive the microprocessor making process is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back