Processing Kodachrome 120

McManniss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking to see if anyone knows of a place or person who can process Kodachrome 64 in 120 format. Dwayne's in Kansas only processes 35mm. I have 5 rolls I'd like to develop but am not sure there is a single place in the world that can do it. Any suggestions?

I didn't know Dwayne's wouldn't process 120. Anyway, if they can't do it, nobody can. They're the only lab left in the world that can process K-14.

Ok, I checked their website (B&H) and it doesn't look like they do any k-14 processing but you could always call and ask. They do develop 120 mm but K-14 is more complicated than regular 120 mm as I understand it. Maybe you could beg, cry and bribe Dwayne’s. ???

Max is correct, as far as I know. There is nowhere that processes 120 Kodachrome in K-14.

If you are happy with a low quality B&W image (because that is all it is going to be), then you could try it yourself. You will have to get the rem jet backing off, but that is no big deal.[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

Good luck,
Helen
[/FONT]

Have you confirmed with Dwayne's that they won't do it? How old is the film and how was it stored, to my knowledge Kodachrome 120 has not been sold for a very long time and unless frozen I doubt there is much to develop on your rolls.

Dwayne's is the only place that does K14 so they are the one and only hope.

Dave

Have you confirmed with Dwayne's that they won't do it? How old is the film and how was it stored, to my knowledge Kodachrome 120 has not been sold for a very long time and unless frozen I doubt there is much to develop on your rolls.

Dwayne's is the only place that does K14 so they are the one and only hope.

Dave

Kodachrome tends not to fade much (in terms of contrast loss) but it does tend to color shift. All the 120 I've seen IIRC has been from the mid to late 70's. I've never shot any that old, so I can't say for sure, but I'd bet it can still produce a decent image.

Yeah, Dwayne's was the first place I asked. The told me they only process 35mm Kodachrome, but they also recommended Rocky Mnt. Film Lab to get it developed as B&W. I was hoping someone outhere would have the tools and chemicals to develop it themselves, and I'll keep the B&W option as a backup solution.

I remember checking out a book from the library back when I started to do my own black and white film that also had a section about at-home Kodachrome processing. I think this book had been written in the '60s, so maybe back then there was a home K14 kit available. Maybe one of the other posters can verify for me if this is true or not. If it is, perhaps you can score an old chemical kit off eBay or something...

K-14 wasn't introduced until the 70's, and there has never been a home processing kit for K-14. It is far too complicated a process. I don't think that there has ever been a home processing kit for Kodachrome - there are many references to how to make prints from it in old photography literature, however.

There is a guy who runs a lab in Australia who was trying to find out how much interest there was for running a K-14 120 line. Look here. Maybe you could follow that up. I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

Good luck,
Helen

K-12 preceded K-14, and K-11 preceded K-12. That switch happened in 1960. K-11 was the process for the original version of Kodachrome.

Kodachrome II and Kodachrome-X were K-12.

Here is the Kodak manual for the K-Lab processor. It tells you quite a lot about the K-14 process. http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/Zmanuals/z50.shtml

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back