Product Offering for Pro Photographers

ProPainter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've contacted several local photographers about using my products as an added revenue source. So far, I have had little success from my local market. Can you guys give me some feedback as to why there is this resistance or are these guys just blind to the opportunity? It seems like a perfect fit to me to partner with photographers. It's more business for both of us. They don't even need to use my name, just show it as a service they offer through their businesss.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

First of I'd like to say that I think it is a wonderful idea, and I really like your work. I was just brainstorming ideas of why photographers may not go for it, and the only reason I can think of, is there may not be a demand from clients for this type of thing. I'm assuming it takes you sometime to create your masterpieces. It might be faster and cheaper for people to get a photographic print of a larger size, printed and framed, and may suit their purposes for having a family portrait.
Also these days with every one being tech savy and the transformation to digital format, many clients don't even want prints from the photographer, they want the digital files. This in itself is a travesty, but unfortunately, I can't tell you how many clients ask if I will be providing them digital files for free, and don't even want to look at my print price list. It always irks me when they do this, because it's like giving someone your hard work, for nothing, but I have to admit, this is a trend in our client base.

First, thanks for your reply. As far as time, we can have a photo of the painting to the client in about 1 week for comment. Assuming they accept the painting, we can have it framed and delivered within 3-4 weeks from the order date. I really think this is a good product for the photographers because the client would use one of the photos taken by the photographer to create the painting and possibly prevent the client from taking the digital files elsewhere for these services. I can't tell you how many wedding portraits we've done because the photographer doesn't offer this so they just take the digital files and send them to us to do the painting. Again, it just seems like a win-win to me and I can't figure out the reason for the lack of interest.

If any of you want to look into doing this, you're welcome to send me an email to discuss. Again, thanks for your comments.

i think it might be because of "PRICE".....price and demand are usually directly related.....if you are offering your paintings at the same price as digital prints...i'm sure everyone would be interested...but in reality....is not doable given the labour and material cost.....so having that in mind...as a photographer....i would not bother offering this to my clients....i would rather offer them something more economical (so that i can make more benefit out of).....computer software is so advance nowadays that it can produce many different affects including oil painting....dont you think?

i do like your idea personally....but i would not pay for such service when i can get similar effect on computer at a much lower cost

Shingfan, I appreciate your comments but no, I don't agree. I have never seen a computer generated "painted" print that can come close to a real professionally painted portrait. Most of these software packages you are referring to use a filter to create the "painted" effect. While they may look ok on a computer screen, when they are printed on canvas or other media, they aren't even close. The only thing that I have seen that can compare is a software package that allows the artist to add individual electronic brushstrokes. The problem with this is that they still don't look like a real oil painting and the price is still relatively high due paying a highly skilled person to do this.

As far as the price component, the product is intended for a niche market. It's a relatively high end product for the customer that wants something unique and different. However, if you look at the cost of a canvas print vs. our paintings, the price difference isn't that much and the customer is getting a much higher end product. Compared to some of the individual portrait artist, our paintings are a fraction of the cost (a few hundred vs tens of thousands).

When all is said and done, you may be right but I still think it's a great product and a natural fit for a professional photographer to use in their product line.

As far as the price component, the product is intended for a niche market. It's a relatively high end product for the customer that wants something unique and different.

You pretty much answered your own question right there. Perhaps you haven't gotten with the right photographers yet.

You pretty much answered your own question right there. Perhaps you haven't gotten with the right photographers yet.

You are exactly correct theusher :hail:. That is exactly the point of why I posted the question on this forum. SO I would get a broader prospective from a variety of different photographers rather than just from my local market.

I just don't think there is much interest in this product. I've never had a client ask about paintings from photographs. There have been at least six businesses in my town that have come and gone offering hand painted paintings from photographs. If a client would have asked me about it, I would have referred them to one of the local businesses.

Talking as a marketing student and not as a photographer for a moment. If this is a niche thing you will need to make it known. I doubt anyone will specifically ask for a portait like this of their wedding simply because often they do not know it is possible and don't know what it will look like.

Supposing a market exists for this product, making your services known will be the hardest part.

Shingfan, I appreciate your comments but no, I don't agree. I have never seen a computer generated "painted" print that can come close to a real professionally painted portrait. Most of these software packages you are referring to use a filter to create the "painted" effect. While they may look ok on a computer screen, when they are printed on canvas or other media, they aren't even close. The only thing that I have seen that can compare is a software package that allows the artist to add individual electronic brushstrokes. The problem with this is that they still don't look like a real oil painting and the price is still relatively high due paying a highly skilled person to do this.

As far as the price component, the product is intended for a niche market. It's a relatively high end product for the customer that wants something unique and different. However, if you look at the cost of a canvas print vs. our paintings, the price difference isn't that much and the customer is getting a much higher end product. Compared to some of the individual portrait artist, our paintings are a fraction of the cost (a few hundred vs tens of thousands).

When all is said and done, you may be right but I still think it's a great product and a natural fit for a professional photographer to use in their product line.

your product might be great.....but it would require serious advertising before it might become demanding.......also....professional photographers are also in some sense business persons when it comes to business.....i would not see them doing free advertisment for you unless the clients ask them about your product (unless the photogs are friends or they got certain percentage of the profit).......

First of all Spam... j/k

We I got married, we purchased something similar to this. I know my photographer sent it out and marked it up on his end. If I remember correctly one was included in our package, and we purchased one additional. You might want to try marketing to higher end wedding photographers. My wife and mother in law spent a ton of $ on this part of our wedding. I think you just need to market to an area where a couple of hundred $, is really not much in the big picture.

And its good to know your out there. I just stored your website for future use.

I just don't think there is much interest in this product. I've never had a client ask about paintings from photographs. There have been at least six businesses in my town that have come and gone offering hand painted paintings from photographs. If a client would have asked me about it, I would have referred them to one of the local businesses.

We would not have asked, if there were not a few of these hanging in his studio. You might try to work your way in to some shops by doing a few demos for them to hang.

First, let me say that I sincerly appreciate the feedback received .

Second, from some of the comments, it is apparent that I have not been very clear on a couple of points.

1) We do provide a sample for the photographer to display (no charge).
2) We don't expect the photographer to do this for free. We charge a reduced price to the photographer so they can mark it up to make a profit.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. We'll keep pluggin and see where it goes.

ProPainter,

What about targeting child photographers? Often times parents just can't resist.
Just a thought.

you are getting great advice, the key is finding the market for this. If the local guys are picking it up, think more debutante, aristocrat girls who want that old school look hanging above the fireplace. I speaking mostly of the southern bells. I know your in tennesse, but mabye this is an atlanta thing, or New Orleans thing. I will keep in touch.

Most reactions

Back