Product Photography

Anubis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bryanmansell.co.uk
Does any one have a cheap (read "free") way of getting the smooth white background for product photography. I'd rather get it right before I take the image rather than photoshop it afterwards.

I'm dipping my toes in stock photography :)

Thanks,

A.

That would require reading....lol

Seriously though, the DIY lightbox is about the only way.

Maybe a off camera flash that overexpose the white background

Thought I would show you the (almost) finished lightbox :)

lighbox_mansell2009.jpg

Still needs some work done on the inside, I just filled it with A4 paper for now.

and a couple of non-tweaked test shots....

fruit_mansell2009.jpg

iz_mansell2009.jpg

Now I need another SB600 :p

Thanks again for the link!

My first lightbox was similar and worked fairly well, except with some objects the reflection of the cardboard was visible. This made silver look slightly rusty. This could be resolved by lining the inside of the box with white paper or painting it white.

Try diffusing your flash through one of the translucent side panels instead of having it shoot straight on.

Also, you don't really *need* a flash (or 2) for this - since your subject isn't going anywhere a regular table lamp will be sufficient as long as you do a custom white balance for it.

homemade lightbox FTW!!!

took me 45minutes and $15. stealing office supplies always wins!

3373896589_81e6d9c66c_b.jpg

3373896805_6f7423885b_b.jpg

when its crappy outside or im bored i love finding things around the house to throw in the lightbox.

Try diffusing your flash through one of the translucent side panels instead of having it shoot straight on.

Also, you don't really *need* a flash (or 2) for this - since your subject isn't going anywhere a regular table lamp will be sufficient as long as you do a custom white balance for it.

The flash was diffused throught the side and fired at 1/64th full power. I used a reflector to light the shadows on the right.

The flash was diffused throught the side and fired at 1/64th full power. I used a reflector to light the shadows on the right.

Did you have the build-in camera flash on?

Light from the 2 sides, not the top or the front. Product shots look a bit crappy with shadows. Also the background was still not pure white... close but not quite. I figure you are about a 1/2-3/4 stop underexposed. Don't forget to get a deep DOF. I know we're talking apples, pears and oranges here, but there is a need for greater attention to detail.

I figure you are about a 1/2-3/4 stop underexposed. Don't forget to get a deep DOF. I know we're talking apples, pears and oranges here, but there is a need for greater attention to detail.

Thanks, I'll try increasing the exposure. I thought the colour may be off as I am using grease proof paper for the sides and top (didn't have any tracing paper around). But those shots above were just some tests, not intended for anything other than sticking on this thread. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back