Product Photography

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMO, a finely crafted watch doesn't belong with the rough metal in #1.

Ice doesn't seem to show the watch well due to the condensation.

In #2 I wish to know what the watch is resting on, and it is very sideways.

#last there might be something besides just a wallet, and there is a drop of water on the watch.

Mostly agree with Designer. Also, on that last one, maybe straighten it out a bit. The wallet is crooked, and it's bugging a little part of me. ;)

there is a drop of water on the watch.

I believe that's part of the watch magnifying the date.

my quickie comments
# 1 - the nails in the foreground really become the subject. The watch is kinda lost being small and in the background.
# 2 the watch is too small for being the subject of the photograph
# 3 / 4 you may want to keep the crystal clear as I cannot read the maker of the watch. And in product photography you want to make sure the viewer knows what they are looking at.
# 5 learn where to put the hands were you can see the maker information.

Shooting table.
Of the photos posted, the second shot of the watch on ice was my favorite. Overall, for me, having the watch oriented "sideways" is just killing the shots. These types of photos are not easy to take.

When I was playing with watch photography I would use foam stuff (white or black) and shape it to how I wanted it. This was inserted into the watch band to shape it exactly how I wanted it shaped in order to help the watch stand up. This allows you to have less props to disguise that the watch is flat without an insert.

by far I'm not a pro at it, but having the watch stand up was very significant. Also DOF control. Notice the watch hands out of the way.
Watch01-3 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

Wow..great feedback!!!!! I really appreciate all the comments and help!!

just a few notes. I agree with Derrell that the sideways orientation of the watches is bothersome. It's human nature to want to read the watch; closer to vertical would be better. In #4, the out of focus ice in the foreground is blocking part of the watch. As for the last image, this isn't about technique but about product knowledge. I know this is practice, but you wouldn't want to put this in a portfolio. Rolex is a luxury brand, whereas Polo is not. You've got a $7000 watch with a $70 wallet. Different customers. A photo buyer for a luxury brand would know this.

I like all the pictures except for the first one. The background and surrounding objects are very distracting. The red metal piece above the watch is very brightly colored and draws the eye first. Overall the picture seems underexposed. I understand that you're trying to fill the picture, which you have, but you have left no open space making it almost strenuous to look at. I'm not a product photographer and the other ones give me the fuzzies that you know what you're doing.

Most reactions

Back