Product/Portrait | In the Kitchen @ Bedtime

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, the other day I agreed to do some photos for a coworker that sells crocheted hats/scarves, etc. She had a Hello Kitty hat and purse she gave to my daughter in exchange for some photos. Well, life got busy and by the time I got around to getting some photos it had been about 4 days, it was bedtime, and my daughter was cranky...and my wife wasn't the most willing assistant...and the setting wasn't the greatest... That being said, I feel like I could have done much worse.

So, these were taken in my kitchen, too close to the wall, with my wife holding my flash with the Lumiquest softbox just out of the frame.

SOOY - Hello Kitty-1 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

SOOY - Hello Kitty-3 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

SOOY - Hello Kitty-4 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

SOOY - Hello Kitty-9 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

My personal gripes:
- I don't like the shadow on the wall behind her. I think that had I a bit more time I could have moved her away from the wall a bit to darken the background.
- I wish I hadn't cut off the bottom of the purse on #3.

I'm sure there are more areas for improvement...Let me know what you think/where I can improve. If you'd prefer to just critique a single image and ignore the rest, feel free to do that too!

Thanks all!

In addition to your own points, I'll add that I find them significantly under-exposed and too tightly framed. Her elbows need a little more breathing room, and I'd like to see the purse more 'front and centre'. Consider stuffing with some newspaper, paper-towel or something to give it a bit of shape and hold in more toward the camera.

In addition to your own points, I'll add that I find them significantly under-exposed and too tightly framed. Her elbows need a little more breathing room, and I'd like to see the purse more 'front and centre'. Consider stuffing with some newspaper, paper-towel or something to give it a bit of shape and hold in more toward the camera.

I can go back and up the exposure a bit. I didn't do much with that (or anything) in PP. I agree regarding the framing...I originally planned to capture a few shots with the 70-200/2.8 and then switch out and get some with the 50mm but when she started sitting on the floor throwing a fit I figured that, for all our sanity, I should call it an evening. :)

Since it is a product shot, I think the light on the product could be a little more even.

She has my teeth! :)

Since it is a product shot, I think the light on the product could be a little more even.
How would you do that? Maybe move the softbox back a bit to allow the light to spread out a bit more? Or is this something that upping the exposure might remedy? I'm assuming that ideally I would add a second light source to hit the shadowed side but I'm working with one light right now and would love to know the best way to get the result you "see."

She has my teeth! :)
I'm sorry?!? :) She's killing me because she says that her other tooth on top is loose. The one she lost is taking forever to grow in and I keep telling her that if she loses the other, she won't be able to eat for a while... :)

Yes, to light the product more evenly, you should move the softbox more toward the front.

Gotcha...closer to the camera, right? Makes sense...I'm a moron. I knew that but for some reason didn't apply it (<-- newbie-itis)..Thanks for your patience with me! :)

Bump for the morning crew...Exposure, framing, and evenness of the lighting are things to adjust next time. Anything else?

Thanks!

As a people shot, I like #2.

Most reactions

Back