Product Shots

gw2424

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
TPFers!

Had a friend come over to shoot and he was wondering what my setup was for the pictures of the 55-250mm that I sold.
Canon EF s 55 250mm F 4 0 5 6 Is Lens w UV Filter 0013803079371 | eBay

He had his T2i and recently acquired (christmas) 50mm f1.4. These were my two favorite photos out of the bunch! I took 2 minutes to setup and 5 to shoot.
Please C&C, I need the feedback.

$IMG_0642.JPG$IMG_0646.JPG

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just saw the product photography area, this is going to get moved.

Eviction!!!

TPFers!

Had a friend come over to shoot and he was wondering what my setup was for the pictures of the 55-250mm that I sold.

He had his T2i and recently acquired (christmas) 50mm f1.4. These were my two favorite photos out of the bunch! I took 2 minutes to setup and 5 to shoot.

View attachment 29958

Do you think maybe you could manage to work a fifth "Canon" logo into a follow-up shot? You know, just to fully convey the idea that this is Canon stuff??? I just think this shot needs that FIFTH Canon logo worked into it! Maybe a Canon logo from the box for the lens, or the camera, or the lens hood??? Mebbe??? Just funin' ya, Gabe!

Overall, I think a little bit more fill would help. It just seems very "dark", overall.

TPFers!

View attachment 29958

Do you think maybe you could manage to work a fifth "Canon" logo into a follow-up shot? You know, just to fully convey the idea that this is Canon stuff??? I just think this shot needs that FIFTH Canon logo worked into it! Maybe a Canon logo from the box for the lens, or the camera, or the lens hood??? Mebbe??? Just funin' ya, Gabe!

Overall, I think a little bit more fill would help. It just seems very "dark", overall.

Not sure I would be able to find another logo! :)

The setup was incredibly simple, just using a $30 led board for lighting. Are you referring to the background being too dark or the product itself? My "studio" is a $10 clothing hamper my mother picked up so I wouldn't throw my clothing in a corner before taking it to the laundry room; so much for that theory!

Well.. or at least get ONE of the logos in focus? I think the sales weenies would require at least that one. lol

FWIW, I think as product photography this is more creative and abstract than a manufacturer, distributor or retailer would want. Sales and marketing wonks are far toliteral thinking to appreciate creative shots of their product. If they wanted you to be creative, they'd have told you how to do it.

Now a magazine, blog, or other editorial user would possibly prefer the more creative product shot.

Ironically, the marketing people go to great efforts to cook up elaborate sets, scenes and props in which to position their very literal portayals of their products.

For example, the current Canon campaign... chasing a fiery flaming wheel down a mountain on a skateboard... but the canon camera is treated quite literally in its representation.

Ever wonder why product shots are done in light bubbles at f/90? It's because the product photographers got tired of negotiating and reshooting over which logos should be in focus and which ones could reasonably be oof for artistic effect.

Last edited:
TPFers!

View attachment 29957View attachment 29958

Well its definitely better then the one you used on the eBay listing. In the eBay photo you could not even see the lens because you made the all black lens vanish into the all black background.

The image of the camera that you posted suffers from the same problem although the camera and strap do have more parts that are not black so that helps.

Try shooting against a white background when you have such a dark object that you are photographing.

Shooting black on black is not easy without the right lighting. It's definitely dark and dof is to shallow for a product shot, consider adding some rim lighting to pull it away from the backdrop.

Most reactions

Back