"Product" Style Photo

90foxbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this for my girlfriend who was excited about her new makeup. She wanted the photo for her blog or something, lol.

I set the items on a cutting board on our basement bar, aimed two over head lights at the items and strategical placed some lights beyond the items on the wall.

IMG_2385 by 90FoxBox, on Flickr

I enjoyed the outcome considering it was my first time trying to shoot something like this.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure the lights in the background have helped any.

It might have helped some to provide more separation of the product from the background, particularly the black top that is now blending with the background.

Needs a very slight clockwise rotation. I agree...not sure that those background "bokeh balls" are really helping the shot. I think I would like it more if there were a lot more of them, like five, or seven of them, but the placement of the bokeh balls does not feel quite right. It's a very subtle thing, and product shots like this are so,so simplified and stripped down that there are not all that many elements, so if one or two elements are not "just so", I think we tend to feel a bit disappointed in the shot.

I DO think that the dark, noir-ish type of lighting is good though, especially considering the name of the product, and I DO think that this shot is leagues ahead of most typical blog-shots, and it DOES have a lot of visual style, visual panache.

Thanks for the advice guys, I might try a similar shot with a different item soon.

I didn't spend much time on this due to us leaving to get some dinner. I'd definitely like to spend more time on a shot like this.

Most reactions

Back