"Professional" Headshots, critiques needed

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to take some headshots for students at my university for $10-15 per picture and brand them as "professional" headshots. But since I am charging people for my service, I am pretty careful about the quality of the photos I give them. I am posting some headshots here and see what can be improved to warrant charging them for these photos :)

Please critique. Thanks

_ZJL6415-Edit-2.jpg

Kyle.jpg

_ZJL6283-Edit.jpg

Studio Session-098-Edit.jpg

Studio Session-117-Edit.jpg

Studio Session-163-Edit.jpg

Studio Session-170-Edit.jpg

Studio Session-178-Edit.jpg

Julian Liu

Last edited:
These look pretty good. Especially for $15! You need more fill light on 4 - 8. The pose in number 2 is feminine so watch that with your male subjects. His head should be tilted the other direction. Look at the difference in head tilt between 1 and 2. 1 is a masculine pose while 2 is feminine.

This write up explains it. It's old but the fundamentals hold up.
Chapter 5 - Posing Men, Part Two

They look great.

This may interest you if you like this type of work:

These look pretty good. Especially for $15! You need more fill light on 4 - 8. The pose in number 2 is feminine so watch that with your male subjects. His head should be tilted the other direction. Look at the difference in head tilt between 1 and 2. 1 is a masculine pose while 2 is feminine.

This write up explains it. It's old but the fundamentals hold up.
Chapter 5 - Posing Men, Part Two
The essay you linked is really helpful! Thanks a lot! I kind of pose people's head according to my intuition but now I get some professional advice, feel more confident now :)

Julian

They look great.

This may interest you if you like this type of work:

Got to check out this video more later. I think I may have came across this video before. The photos in the video look really nice so this may be my next goal of posing people.
Thanks a bunch!

Julian

Those look great to me.
Careful, at those prices and the quality of work, you will end up with more clients than time! :)

Lighting is good.. expression on #2 is horrific.
Your pricing is way too low.
Is the Bokeh on image #2 done in photoshop?
Your retouching is abit heavy on image #1

$15 is not sustainable. Charge at least $50 for a single retouched image.
Most pro headshot photographers charge $150 (low end) to $300 average and $1000 and up (high end) for a headshot session.
Work out how many hours you put in (shooting, marketing, retouching, and so on) per image. From there you calculate your fees.
Good work for $15 I admit but you've spent too much time retouching.
Charge more and get better at it.

Note the poses in the video, with the subject leaning forward from the waist and the chin lowered. I also think most of the subjects are sitting and in the video he shows his pretty simple location shoot lighting set-up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back