Professional Shoot - What to do?

When will everyone be done beating the dead horse..... just let him stew in his own juices.

Never worked in the past! lol!
Never worked in the past! lol!

Color coded response for clarity! ;)

Stewing is one thing, but you still need to tenderize it beforehand - it seems to have worked for that fast-food pseudo Mexican place.

I have to agree. DGM has had a pattern of posts where he's met a lot of resistance from the community here...

To play Devil's advocate, though, this forum isn't at a loss for people who seem to try to discourage (to put it nicely) anyone from ever getting into photography professionally. Let someone ask "Should I get this lens for wedding photography?", and it won't be long before he's being told to forget about lenses and concentrate on contracts and insurance and get experience second shooting and a litany of other things that pertain exactly "not at all" to the question asked.

That's not exactly what's happened here, I'm just referring to the "resistance from the community" which was mentioned. Simply put, it's quite often misplaced and unnecessary...

That's not exactly what's happened here, I'm just referring to the "resistance from the community" which was mentioned. Simply put, it's quite often misplaced and unnecessary...

I'm going to go out on a branch and say it's because a lot of the more experienced photographers here have an inherent desire to protect the sanctity of professional photography. It seems like it's constantly under assault with the flurry of overnight "pros".

Also, there's a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality that is prevalent here on this forum; In the sense that once you prove your credibility by showing the forum your work, as long as you're competent and reasonably technically coherent, you receive a lot less of this resistance. But, if work is shown and it's laden with technical flaws, displays a lack of understanding of composition, and images are riddled with uneven and amateur processing, then the resistance will exist. In relation to this thread and OP, from what this forum has seen from him, there's a lot of basic skills he still needs to build upon before he should be taking paid assignments.

You're going to see the most resistance for those who clearly need to improve their craft, but are putting the cart before the horse instead: they are trying to turn pro without the proper skills or understanding.

The biggest thing I see wrong is you allowed her to "assume" you had all the gear you needed and you don't. You were dishonest with a client. They aren't going to receive the service they asked for and you aren't going to provide the quality you said you would

Does that sound like a good business model to you?

I'm going to go out on a branch and say it's because a lot of the more experienced photographers here have an inherent desire to protect the sanctity of professional photography. It seems like it's constantly under assault with the flurry of overnight "pros".

I think the bigger misstep is believing that professional photography is something worthy of being sanctified. It's not. It's a gig, period...

Also, there's a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality that is prevalent here on this forum...

And that serves little purpose, simply because it chases people away, and being helpful is every bit as easy as being unhelpful (albeit not as much fun)...

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. Despite what you guys seem to think, I am actually able to take your comments into consideration, and do. I will call her and let her know that perhaps now is not the best time to hire me. Thanks for the support Steve, but in some senses they are right. It is very hard to be humble, so please don't tear this comment apart too, guys. I was presented an opportunity and figured I should jump on it. Perhaps a better thread would have been, "Should I take this job?" So thanks! My friend has a lighting kit he may be letting me borrow to practice with, and I'll look into getting some photography books from the library.

I think the bigger misstep is believing that professional photography is something worthy of being sanctified. It's not. It's a gig, period...

Also, there's a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality that is prevalent here on this forum...

And that serves little purpose, simply because it chases people away, and being helpful is every bit as easy as being helpful (albeit not as much fun)...

But it's the internet.....and I'm right. (This is my sarcasm font)

Thanks for your comments. Despite what you guys seem to think, I am actually able to take your comments into consideration, and do. I will call her and let her know that perhaps now is not the best time to hire me. Thanks for the support Steve, but in some senses they are right. It is very hard to be humble, so please don't tear this comment apart too, guys. I was presented an opportunity and figured I should jump on it. Perhaps a better thread would have been, "Should I take this job?" So thanks! My friend has a lighting kit he may be letting me borrow to practice with, and I'll look into getting some photography books from the library.
Well done. In my opinion that is the smart thing to do.

Keep in mind that you only get one opportunity per client to make a good impression. At this point in your career the odds are astronomically against that happening and once you start getting a BAD reputation it will follow you for years. Learn your trade FIRST and stack the odds in your favor and not against you.

Holy **** someone heeded forum advice!!!!!

Besides, the word professional is defined as someone who receives money for their services.

:lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao:
:lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao:

:lmao:

:lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think I made my point.

Indeed. I'm speechless.

Guys... it's the only thing he said that actually makes sense. Definitions cannot be subjective in order to be a definition. His definition is the only one for THAT WORD which is inarguable. (is that a word?)

Is he prepared? Good god no.

Is he a professional? As soon as someone hands him a dollar... yes.

All that said, runnah, that smiley thing was totally badass.

Oh hey wow.

Dude.

I've been here 9 years... I don't think I've seen more than 2-3 people do this. :lol:

Congrats. Someone give this man a tag or something.

:hail:

Good call. That's how a professional handles this situation.

Good call. That's how a professional handles this situation.

Whooaaaa careful with that P word imagemaker :lol:

Most reactions

Back