Professional Wear for Female Wedding & Event Photograp

mj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score

Looking for advice on protocol clothing for female wedding & event photographers, both for upscale weddings and intimate weddings....all black garb?

Thanks

M

MDowdey

What time of day mj? When i got married it was in the afternoon, and the lady wore a dress, but it wasnt black. she looked rather dolled up if you ask me. Usually if its at night its more dressy. just a rule of thumb i heard.

md

dlc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not all weddings are black and white anymore, and I was shooting weddings when most of them were. I don't think that a womens pant suit are all black coat and skirt are necessary. I never owned a tux, but usually dressed in a suit or sport coat with a tie and before it was all over, the coat and tie were off, especially at the reception. Just dress nice, unless you are the one getting married.

M

MDowdey

Good Call Dlc! I had a man and woman doing my photography. he was the most casual there...but for 1800$, i didnt mind that much. :cry: The pictures turned out beautiful and the man and woman were not dressed in black but were appropriate none the less.

md

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The advice I gave my female partners (two exactly) was to dress as if for church, but do NOT look better than the bride. I had one partner (I never had assisstants) who had to dress way down not to look better than some of my brides.

photogoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.trueblueintimates.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wear black slacks, comfortable shoes (black) and a black polo shirt. It's nice enough for most weddings, allows me to move around comfortably and blend into the woodwork so that I can get more candid than posed shots.

Mindii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I generally wear black pants and either a black or neutral coloured blouse...I do not want to stand out but on the same hand you need to dress somewhat to the occasion. I have been meaning to buy sme more black pants with pockets as I find myself often looking for a place to store the spare or used memory cards in a hurry..
Comfortable shoes is a must!

Dollface

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dollface.net.au
I usually wear - black pants, black doc martens (flat & rugged) with a black t-shirt, but a nice necklace or something so the t-shirt doesn't look dodgy.

If it's black, and your rolling around on the grass - it won't get dirty :)

niccig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.niccigilland.com
Photos OK to edit
For my wedding last month, our photographer asked us what the attire would be. IMO, this seems to be the safest way to dress appropriately - unless, of course, bridezilla wants you in an evening gown. Definitely don't want to roll in the grass in that! I'd agree that dark is a must. Whatever you do, don't wear white at the wedding! :) BTW, this is all from a customer's pov, as I'm definitely not skilled enough yet to shoot weddings.

Most reactions