Program vs. Auto mode??

mkalcevic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, so this is definately a newb question, of which I probably know the answer already and haven't put it together yet...

If I have the camera in "Auto" mode, the majority of the controls are locked out (f-stop, speed, ISO, ect). The camera does it all for me.

If I have it in "Program" mode, the camera suggests what to use and I can still tweek it. I have the option to change the settings.

Is this correct? Are there any more main differences?

Not sure how it would change from camera to camera (or IF it would) but in my experience Auto means EVERYTHING is decided by the camera. Program means Aperture and Shutter Speed are decided by camera and other settings are decided by me (though most would default to Auto). So in program I can change the ISO, White Balance, Metering mode, etc.

I also prefer shooting in Program mode because the flash only fires when you tell it to.

Program does have it's good points but really once you learn how to use Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual you'll really be able to push what you can do with a camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back