Progression of Photography Pt. 1 (C&C)

Djmorrsee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been into photography for just under a year now, and I am becoming more and more serious about it. I hope that by joining this community I can recieve some helpful critiques that will lead to my growth as a photographer.

As everyone here knows, half of what comes out of a photoshoot are the pictures, while the other half being the story to tell. I find that when looking through all my old photos, the good and bad, memories spark up emotions that were present the day the photos were taken.

These photos were from the very first photoshoot I went on. It was the beginning of a semester in school, and I was in a photography class. A couple of friends and I took a trip to the city of Denver. I didn't have a camera of my own, so I was borrowing a friends Sony Cybershot (high tech, I know). I really didn't know what I was doing, so most of what came out of the day were snapshot-esque pictures. A few did turn out like I knew what I was doing, however. This shoot holds a special day for me, as shortly after, one of the friends I was with that day passed away in a car accident. He was an avid photographer, and I feel his passing is what inspired me to pursue photography further.

TL;DR These are the pictures from my first photoshoot ever with a crappy camera. RIP Joe.

Please critique! I'm fairly proficient with a camera now (not as much then) so any comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

1) This is the first picture I had ever taken that I thought was decent. It's obviously a bit blown out but I almost like it like that. What are your opinions on angle and the composition overall?
f/3.5
1/250 sec.
ISO-400
DSC01856Upload.jpg

2) This is a long exposure of a passing light rail train. Not quite sure why it turned out all yellow, but I still like it. Comments?
f/8
8 seconds
ISO-100
DSC01982Upload.jpg

3) A shot of my friend standing in front of another passing train. It was rather candid, I just yelled at him to stand still (you can see some movement in the tripod).
f/8
7 Seconds
ISO-100
DSC01997Upload.jpg

i think the first one is the best in terms of framing. the others look like the white balance is off and the third one is blurry

I think you got the rule of thirds down in the first one.

Thank you for the comments. That little cyber shot liked to do its own thing as far as white balance, and although its my fault, most of the night shots turned out wrong.

And its nice to see a fellow Coloradan!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back