Progression of Photography Pt. 2 (C&C)

Djmorrsee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In mid september of last year, some friends and I got up at like 4 in the morning to go take picture of
the sunrise up at Lookout Mountain in Golden Colorado. By this time I was able to borrow a Canon EOS
Digital Rebel (the original, however old it actually was). It was a step up from the Sony Cybershot I
had been using, as I finally had full control over things like aperture. The sunrise was perfect that
morning. From where we were, we could literally see for miles and miles, all the way to and past Denver.
There was a perfect amount of clouds that morning, so some of the shots were in my opinion breathtaking.

TL;DR - Early Morning shoot off of a mountain with an old Digital Rebel

1) This first shot, in my opinion the weakest of the three, was a long exposure of the sun just peaking
up over Golden Colorado. I think the shot is cool, but not necessarily technically proficient. What would you suggest to strengthen this shot? (By the way, it was pitch black, so I couldnt see the giant mountain in the middle of the shot).
f/4.5
15 Seconds
ISO-200
35mm
Sky1Upload.jpg

2) This shot was further up the mountain, and taken over the city of Denver right as the sun was up. The
shadows cast by the buildings is probably the cooles thing I had ever seen. The haze of the morning fog
added some visible depth and the longest single street in America, Colfax, cuts the image quite nicely I
think. Any comments or critiques?
f/7.1
1/320 Second
ISO-200
205mm
Sky2Upload.jpg

3) This last picture was of the sun through some pretty amazing clouds. Its cut by a telephone pole (or
something). Amazingly this picture took almost no post-pro editing. It was a little bit brighter, but
the image out of the camera looks just the same as this. I can't decide if I like the pole, but I feel
that without it, its not as strong of a photograph. Comments?
f/25
1/1000 second
ISO-200
260mm
Sky3Upload.jpg

I do really like the second one.
I wish that it wasn't quite so blown out. If you could have turned it down just a notch.
But the shadows from the buildings are just phenomenal.
It seems to me you do a really good job at capturing the image you see with your eyes.
the third one is a little to closely cropped for me to get excited about.
You're definitely a rule of thirds follower.

Thanks you! I made prints of the second one, and it wasnt quite as blown there. As for ROT, I had a photo teacher that hammered that rule into us every single day, and if we presented photos with a dead center subject, we'd get a lecture. lol

I like the 2nd, if you can recover some of those highlights and maybe try a longer crop, those shadows are awesome.

Most reactions

Back