Project Perception

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just thought I would share a project I have been working on.

---

I was walking downtown a few months ago, with my camera, and went past the art gallery. As I stood there, looking in the window, and I saw light, I saw shape, I imaged people standing inside. I could see myself shooting there, see the frames, see the images on the wall. And then I thought, hmmm. What would my friend Vikki see? What would Rhys Albrecht see? What would the person standing beside me see?

I don't see myself as a creative being. I don't think - oh - that's a different idea. I see this around me plain as day. And I record that. I create what I see in my head, and I record that.

Maybe we all see the same? Maybe we just perceive what we see differently.

So a thought started festering in my mind. With a little collaboration, and I designed a challenge for those of us who are interested in how we perceive the world around us. So I present - PROJECT PERCEPTION: A Photography Challenge

----

Project Perception 1 - A Photography Challenge

12 Photographers
1 lens
30 minutes
24 frames
No artificial light
No post processing
No LCD's or previewing images

Each Photographer will have access to the same shoot location and 30 minutes with the model. When the 30 minutes is up, they will be able to view the captured images and select one for printing and critique. When all of the shoots are completed, Triboda will print the images and we will gather at the shoot location for dinner, critique, and anonymous judging. The image scoring the highest will receive a gift certificate to Triboda.

The winning image was:

Photographer - Rhys Albrecht (posted with permission)
Blog - Rhys Albrecht - a Different Kind of Wedding Photographer

166175_507050341164_127300198_30240456_4243812_n.jpg

Second place image was:

Photographer - Kristal Burgess (thats me)
Kristal Burgess Photography

148196_471285032689_155351977689_5805630_5394468_n.jpg

At the end of the judging, the 12 photographers (ranging from novice to pro) each were able to show the images they didn't select for judging. In every case, the group felt they didn't choose the strongest image. We sat around for a few more hours, ate Chinese food, drank wine, talked about the industry, and a group of strangers and competition intantly became a group of colleagues and friends. It was a fantastic experience.

Project Perception 2 - A Processing Challenge

Requirements:
Up to 20 photographers
Must provide their own with camera and laptop.
Allowed to bring any actions, presets, textures they desire
Any version of Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture is allowed

Here are the rules for the second challenge, which will happen in March.

Each photographer will have 10 minutes with the model
From these images, we will as a group select the top 2 images - those 2 images will then be used for the challenge.

All photographers will get 1 hour to edit the 2 images as they wish. At the end of the hour, we will vote on the winners.

Scoring will be based on:
Image Integrity /5 (we want to really focus on maintaining quality in editing)
Skill /5
Creativity /5
Overall Appeal /5

Each image will be scored and the top from each image will receive a gift certificate to Lens and Shutter. The top two entries from each image will then have to give a quick demo on what they did, and how, so everyone can learn something.

Interesting concept and congratz for the recognition. Nice image to boot.

Most reactions

Back