Proper Holding Techniques

pdechavez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have a Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 105mm Micro VR.

Is it safe to hold the lens barrell connected to the camera? What if i have heavier lenses? I believe that if the lens is heavy, it is safe to carry the lens barrell instead of the camera.

Are you asking if it's ok to carry the entire camera-lens unit by holding only the lens?

In general, I'd say the answer is yes. Most lenses have a good solid mount and shouldn't give you any problem -- I hold my D40 by the barrel of my 18-200 all the time.

The only time I'd worry is if you have a cheap lens with a plastic mount -- you might end up putting a lot of stress on it over time. But, I've never actually seen this be a problem, it's just conjecture from me.

that's cool. i just want to know since my camera is expensive and heavy. I've been shooting for years and never know these small things.

Whatever the case, make sure that the strap is around your neck. Especially if you have the coordination and grace of an elephant. I posess such dexterity and fluidity of movement. If it can be broken, I'm sure I can find a way to inadvertantly break it.

I find that duct tape works too.

If it is a heavy lens then yes by the lens. If it is small lens you cant carry it by the lens anyhow.

You can pretty much carry it by the lens or camera. When you get into larger lenses they often come with a tripod caller to support the camera by the lens, rather than the camera, just for balance, but cameras and lenses are designed to support each other, so carry your camera in the the way that is most comfortable for you.

+1 on having the strap around your neck
Troy

Or if you are holding it in your hand, double wrap your strap around your wrist. I get looks when people see me supporting the camera with one finger under the grip in my right hand. "Aren't you worried about dropping it?" So I let go, and the strap tightens around my wrist and catches it 10cm further down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back