Proper lens cleaning technique

Harpua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fotki.com
So I shelled out lots of $ on my D70s and I want to make sure I treat it will the respect it deserves. When it comes to my toys, I am very careful and like to take very good care to make sure everything remains in optimum working condition.

What I need to know is what is the best way to clean my lens. I have a little blower brush, a lens cloth, and some lens cleaning fluid (which I think I understand is basically water with just a little rubbing alcohol?).

What I have been doing is first using the brush to get rid on any dust or anything else on the surface. I think put a drop of fluid in the center of the lens and use the cloth to wipe it around in a circular pattern. I then take a dry part of the cloth and wipe it dry in a circular pattern as well. Is this the best way to do it or should I be doing something different?

I personally use my t-shirt. Call me old fashioned, but I don't believe in cleaning products.

When I'm servicing my camera, I use Henry with his bottom pointed at an open window and a paintbrush.

B00008Z9XZ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lens cloths have a habit of getting grit in them, so I hate them. T-shirts are not the most scientific thing in the world, but they work. If there's any smears, I use a moist j-cloth to gently solve the stain and then the trusty t-shirt to buff gently.

Avoid working dirt into the corners of the lens.

Rob

I don't know if there is a "best way" to clean a lens. Myself I generally use a pre-moistened wipe made by Zeiss, if the lens is that dirty. I also keep a blower brush/ lens pen with me, that has a little cloth kind of thing on one end. When I used a separate tissue cleaner combo. I, moistened the tissue first, instead of putting a drop of fluid right on the lens.

Harpua said:
What is a j-cloth?

I thought I was the only one scratching my head :lol:

I am happy with my disposable lens tissues. When they run out, I will probably use t-shirts or, I have heard some people use cigarette-rolling papers?? Because apparently they are a lot cheaper but are similar texture or something?

They're a cross between a cotton cloth and a paper towel, a disposable dish cloth. They are good for cleaning up things like cat poo as you can throw them away after one use (they're cheap).

Rob

Don't get your lens dirty to begin with.
Dust will accumulate on a lens whatever you do and it is best to blow it off with compressed air each time you use the camera. But if you are treating your lens with the respect it deserves you shouldn't get anything else on it.
Each time you clean a lens - even using lens wipes or lens tissues - you are wearing away the lens coating and putting micro- abrasions on it. This will eventually degrade the performance of the lens so the more you do it the quicker it happens.

Oh wow I did not realize that each time I touch it I am essentially shortening its life. Good to know.

I have been trying to be extremely careful, but so far I have twice touched the surface (of my filters, not my actual lens) and left some oils behind. Now that it has happened two times I am going to be even that much more careful.

markc said:
Clean the lens???

Wow. Is that why I'm having problems?

:lmao: that looks like my windshield, is that a bugsplat on your lens??? ;)

i'm with Hertz, just try your best to avoid getting it dirty... i'm a clutzy kinda person so i am always accidentally smudging it for whatever reason, so i like to use a UV filter. camera stores sell little micro-fiber cloths, i have a couple and they seem to work pretty good when compressed air isn't enough to do the trick... i have heard the chemicals are bad, so I haven't used them in years...

Hertz van Rental said:
Don't get your lens dirty to begin with.
Dust will accumulate on a lens whatever you do and it is best to blow it off with compressed air each time you use the camera. But if you are treating your lens with the respect it deserves you shouldn't get anything else on it.
Each time you clean a lens - even using lens wipes or lens tissues - you are wearing away the lens coating and putting micro- abrasions on it. This will eventually degrade the performance of the lens so the more you do it the quicker it happens.

:confused: Also good to know. Gosh. I ought to wear rubber gloves and a respirator when operating my camera! ;) With my recent step up from point-and-shoot to dSLR, I need to step up my care and maintenance of these nice things too. I don't want to rub off my lens' coating! Yikes!

Just use common sense and you will be OK.

The coatings on modern lenses are extremely tough. Very hard to actually scratch them...but it only makes sense that the more you clean it...the faster it will start to wear.

I think the biggest thing you have to be concerned about with a DSLR...is not to get a lot of dirt inside the camera and onto the sensor. Basically this means being careful when you change lenses. Don't change lenses out in the wind if you can help it. Don't leave the camera face up, without a lens on....etc. Just use common sense. I've had my DSLR for almost a year and I've only had to blow dust off the sensor once.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back