Proper Lens Maintenance

RobinChen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys I'm actually very new to photography and have a question about Lens maintenance. Since I only have 1 lens right now (Canon 28mm-135mm) I was wondering if i should keep it attached to my camera when I put it away or should I detach it and store it separetely in my bag? I detached it in the first couple of days I had the lens but I found it to not only be a hassle but was also afraid of dust going in and out since it was exposed to air so much. I just read a thread about fungus and I'm really concerned about that happening. As we all know photography can be very pricy and our equipment is definetely a priority. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thanks for your time,
Robin

Detaching the lens won't do anything to prevent fungus. Best way to do that is to keep the lens (with or without camera attached) somewhere dry. I keep some of those little packs of silica gel in my camera bags just in case. But there's really no reason to remove the lens from the camera, especially if it's your only lens.

Detaching the lens won't do anything to prevent fungus. Best way to do that is to keep the lens (with or without camera attached) somewhere dry. I keep some of those little packs of silica gel in my camera bags just in case. But there's really no reason to remove the lens from the camera, especially if it's your only lens.

Awesome, that was what I was thinking as well because I only have one Lens. Can you explain what the silica gel is for? I always get those but discarded them right away because I thought you could get intoxicated lol..

if you store the lens + camera in a more or less decent place (not a sealed plastic bag) ... the danger of fungus is not very high.

I never had fungus on lenses I used regularly.

Even though some had a really hard time, (e.g. being outdoors alot, also in damp tents overnight ...)

Awesome, that was what I was thinking as well because I only have one Lens. Can you explain what the silica gel is for? I always get those but discarded them right away because I thought you could get intoxicated lol..

silica gel likes water, but it can be dehydrated (e.g. in the oven) .. in that state it attracts and binds all humidity...

but from time to time you have to get the water out of the silica gel ;) (an hour in the oven will do)

silica gel likes water, but it can be dehydrated (e.g. in the oven) .. in that state it attracts and binds all humidity...

but from time to time you have to get the water out of the silica gel ;) (an hour in the oven will do)

Got it, I'll have to get a couple of packs to put inside.
I don't leave my camera inside my car considering I have a black on black and no joke it is like an oven inside during summer. I carry it around with me when I'm at work and when I get home I put it in my room. Should be a good idea to not keep it by the door to my bathroom huh? (especially after a hot shower)

bag I use to store my camera
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6813362&st=canon+bag&type=product&id=1091101643348

if i may make a suggestion on bags, the Canon 200EG is a lot nicer and bigger, will hold all of your equipment and actually cost less then the bag you bought from best buy.

I didn't like the backpack style so I went with the 200DG this bag is more than enough for me though. Thanks for your suggestion. BTW I got the bag for $35 through a friend.

I have 2 lenses. Both live in my camera case, one mounted on the camera always. The camera case has silica gel as mentioned above by others. Both lenses have a UV filter on AT ALL TIMES, except if I need to shoot into something that flares. In that case it comes off temporarily and then goes right back on after I have the desired shot.

After each photography trip I wipe down the UV filter with a lens cloth (unless I'm going right out again the day after), and once a month or two months I remove the UV filter and inspect the lens element. I try to brush off any dust and only if there's are a few visible marks on the element which don't come off with a fine hair brush, then I wipe it.

My lenses have been all over the world in all kinds of weather conditions, and get used a LOT, but still look as good as the day I bought them :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back