Proper macro lens

cyber_ecco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this hobby, recently purchased a Canon Rebel XTI with a 28mm-135mm lens. I'm needing to take some close up macro shots of some jewelry that I sell at my shop for selling online. I tried using this lens I got, but I'm not able to get close enough to be able to read the engravings on the jewelry. Can anyone recomend a decent lens for this? I don't want anything fancy, and I am on a budget. How are these aftermarket lenses like Sigma? Will they work fine? Can any of you recomend some models I can look into? I'm looking for the most cost effective solution. Please be specific, because I am new, and honsetly I really don't know much. Still learning. Thanks.

Gord.

I love my Tamron 90mm Macro I got it for around 300 at sigma4less.com heres some examples that I had around
IMG_3607copy.jpg

IMG_2697-1.jpg

IMG_2743bw.jpg

hognose.jpg

Nice shots. Yeah...I think around $300 is my budget as well. Of course if I can get something cheaper that will do the job, then I'm all for it. I've seen macro lenses at 50mm and thennow at 90mm. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Thanks.

Gord.

I have a Fuji S6000fd so it is not an SLR; however, I was able to purchase this macro extender type lens, which I shot my jewelry with a few weeks ago; I need to try it again now that I know a little more what I'm doing, but here is one of the shots.......

since you're interested in shooting jewelry....and pardon the lint -- when I first used the lens, I didn't realize it would pick up EVERYTHING!!! Live and learn.......

tn_2007_0714jewel20027.jpg

So do they make a make a macro extender type lens for my SLR camera that would allow me to take macro shots of jewelry like that? Looking at your pic, that looks just fine for me. That would be as detailed as I would need. can anyone tell me how this works? Does it attach to the 28-135mm lens I have already? Or is it a seperate lens by itself? Sorry for all the newbie questions, just want to make sure i get the proper info before I make decision. Thanks everyone.

Gord.

you will need a different macro lens for different subjects. You can really close with a 50mm macro but that would scare an insect into flight. So a 105mm macro would be better. But that has a long working distance which may be too long for a home studio setup in a small "boxroom".

Sigma do the whole range, they are reasonably cheap, have good customer service / guarentee and excellent image quality. I use the 105mm f2.8 EX DG.

the-digital-picture.com

is a good web site for reviews.

So do they make a make a macro extender type lens for my SLR camera that would allow me to take macro shots of jewelry like that? Looking at your pic, that looks just fine for me. That would be as detailed as I would need. can anyone tell me how this works? Does it attach to the 28-135mm lens I have already? Or is it a seperate lens by itself? Sorry for all the newbie questions, just want to make sure i get the proper info before I make decision. Thanks everyone.

Gord.

Here's the one I bought. Talk about CHEAP -- I think I paid about $30 for it. I have a Fuji Finepix S6000fd camera, if that helps you any when deciding if this would fit your camera. With this lens, I get VERY close to the subject I'm shooting, as you can see in the jewelry picture. Here's a picture of the box and the lens. You could do some "googling" on it. I got mine on ebay, but I just did a quick search and didn't find any right now.

Hope this helps!

lens.jpg

A very cheap and excellent option is to buy a 50mm f/1.8 and a set of extension tubes. Since you are working with stationary objects, this combo and a tripod will give you great results.

Thanks all for your input. I think I've concluded the best thing to do is bring my camera to a local shop and try the different options. I thank you all for your help, it was very informative and at least now I have an idea of what I need.

Gord.

Most reactions

Back