Properly Removing Noise in Photoshop (CS6)?

I didn't see nearly the expected noise issue as was purported to exist, especially nothing that you can't easily correct in the RAW editor. Just a wee bit of correction to the shapening and luminance selectors, some despeckling in CS6 and it is a reasonable and livable amount of noise. I often shoot at ISO 3200 and have delved into the ISO 6400 range on my D7000 with reasonable results.

That image is mine, not the OP's. It's meant as an example of how proper noise control through exposure and processing can provide useable images without destructive NR.

Ahso but go back to that image and see the one I just inserted.

it's there. managed well. The scene though has a lot of light areas, so it shouldn't be any surprise there isn't much noise. But it is present.

Also, just curious, was this shot under uncorrected florescent or some other source with a green-blue white point?

Last edited:
It is a mixture of stained glass window light, flourescent and tungsten...a lot of fun to white balance. I shot these next two in the same setting, one at 2500 ISO an the second at 3200. The first image is only natural light, in a loft area and I was still shooting the 70-200. Silly me. I trial used NIK's noise reduction program but didn't feel I got any better results than with RAW.

$narrator.jpg

$choir 3200 resized.jpg

The point I am trying tomake is that noise doesn't have to be so intense and unless it is hideously garish, shouldn't be a deal breaker if jacking up the ISO is the only light option. Neither of the last two posted images were worked in Photoshop or LR$. I have both.

Sometimes a simple one click "despeckle" works wonders on high ISO noise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back