Protect camera while riding

cal_gundert05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but I wasn't sure where it should go.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here carries their camera while riding a bike or doing something similar. And if so, how do you do it.
I have a bike but I also just bought some rollerblades and would like to take my camera with me when I ride either of those things, but I don't want to damage it. Would the jostling from riding damage a camera, or should I just worry about falls?

I have a digital Olympus C-3030, but also a Canon Rebel at home (standard lens, no accessories or additional lenses).

B00004R8VE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm a little new at rollerblading so when I want to take my camera I use a backpack camera case. It provides padding for when I fall (and I do fall). When I want to take my camera on outings that are lower impact like riding or hiking, I use a binocular strap that you can tighten up to hold the camera close to the chest. I also like this better since it's easy access.

Along with a neckstrap, add a second strap which will hold the rig against your body. Then rollerblade or bike to your heart's content. It's not motion which bothers a camera, but shock. [Falling off a building is no problem until the sudden shock at the end.]

I have a small Pelican Case. I've rag dolled with my camera in my backpack several times and it works like new still. If you're just putting around though, most soft cases can handle the job, trick is not having a bunch of air space around the camera for it to build up momentum (i.e. tiny camera in a huge bag)

I recently purchased a system for my camera that may work for you. It's called a "Bino System" made by a company in CA. called Crooked Horn Outfitters. This system was designed for use with binoculars in the field. But this thing is really catching on with photographers. It places the camera on your abdomen and is adjustable. It goes over your shoulders on both sides and keeps the camera snug on your midsection. Many companies make these and are called many different things but I believe that this is the best one made. Wal Mart sells them for about $15.00

I think a well packed backpack style would be your best bet. Although the shoulder and midsection system sounds pretty interesting, granted it fit snug enough against the body. It would also be much more accessible than a backpack. I wouldnt even think of biking with my camera, but that could also have something to do with the way I ride and how frequently I crash :crazy:

Most reactions

Back