Protest Over Bill Henson Hysteria

To my mind, in this very case the "used in battle over..." is the worst part. Not the 6-years-old. And not the "nude".

I begin to feel that I must be very fortunate to live where I live so I could photograph that swim meet (with young swimmers of 10 - or 9 and turning 10 at some point later this year - and up) and all those young swimmers in nothing but their swimming outfits... :roll:

This is one of those issues you can not just fly by the seat of your pants and shoot from the hip with, Serious caution needs to be taken. Not having seen the images involved I can not say one way or another if the action was appropriate, but judging from the two articles I would have to say that there may have been a screw up committed somewhere along the lines. However that is little more than a guess based on statments from the two extream ends of the debate.

well, I pointed it out to PL's admin and he dug up the cover and the site for the current issue.

So far I see nothing wrong with these, but I have not gone threw the whole page yet.

http://www.artmonthly.org.au/issue.asp

*EDIT*

The mags site is not a complete read...(mostly to get people to get the actual psyical magizene, common practice) so I could verry well be missing something here, but from what I can see there seems to be nothing wrong with the approach

Last edited:
From what they were showing on the news just before - It seems to be the front cover shot of the little girl on the beach and the jewelery on naked children pictures they were focusing on. I will say the jewelery shots they showed (though with areas greyed out) did look very inappropriate for a picture of a child :(

From what they were showing on the news just before - It seems to be the front cover shot of the little girl on the beach and the jewelery on naked children pictures they were focusing on. I will say the jewelery shots they showed (though with areas greyed out) did look very inappropriate for a picture of a child :(

Like I said, Not all of the images in the issue are on the site so There are still a bit I have not seen, in fact I only say two pics that could be considered corrisponding to this issue, that being the cover and one of a couple young boys with out shirts witch is far from a big deal.

Even after the charges are dropped why is this not fading slowly out of existence? I think it's time to move in with LaPhoto in the land of great beer and sausages.

I don't understand the big deal behind showing a topless girl who hasn't gone in to puberty yet. They're physically very similar to a boy at that age. And even then, full nudity, neither girl nor boy, before puberty does not excite me or offend me. I think until that point we should view the child as the non-sexual creature they are.

All modern art seems to be controversial like this, though. When Stravinsky first performed "The Rite of Spring," in France (a musical piece about the deflowering of a virgin), riots ensued. And most of the time, innovative artists are mentally in places where the rest of society is not, and won't be for another generation or two (or three or four...). People will probably look back on this in 50-100 years, and think we're a bunch of prudes, just like we think the critics of Picasso or Dali were.

Erm ... I seem unable to really find the very photos in question, only articles ABOUT them, so excuse my silly question here but how "nude" is "nude" in these cases? Naked from top to bottom?

Last edited:
The other two were similar and shown in the news today. One was a frontal and dear god they blurred out her yet to actually exist breasts. Some people reall y need their head checked.

I like the comment from the college psychiatrist how "She may consent now but I've seen situations like this have adverse effects on kids later in life." I'm sure she has. Personally I've seen people who've been adversely and mentally effected by homework. No I'm serious this was not a joke. A student at my school literally had a mental break when he had 3 assignments due in the same week. Yet homework was not made illegal. :(

Most reactions

Back