Protest

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I haven't posted any people shots lately. Today I went by a protest in Cali, Colombia. I usually like to post just one image at a time but this needed to be a "set". Probably should have gone t "Journalism".

There is a dyke that runs for seventeen kilometers along the east side of the city of Cali that protects half the city from potential flooding by the Rio Cauca (Cauca River). Since the last years of the 1980's individuals and familiys have arrived from outlying areas some displaced by the war between the government and the FARC guerrilla and others, the majority seeking the economic benefit a big city can offer. The phenomena increased eponencially and today there are almost 9,000 families living on the dyke illegaly in structures made from cheap or junked lumber, bamboo etc. They are squatters and connect illegaly to the citie's electric and water service.The phenomenal growth is not spontaneous but encouraged by low level politicians who in exchange for making promises of legalizing the "invasiones" can count on thousands of votes from these people. One resident said this a great place to live, you don't have to pay rent, services or any taxes, it's completely free so what you can earn is all yours.

The structures on the dyke represent an extremely serious threat that could cause it's collapse in case of severe flooding producing effects like the flooding of New Orleans in 2005. The city for more than a year has been trying to move these people off the dyke to other residences. More often than not the people rent out their city supplied residence and move back to the dyke.

To date however the city has managed to eliminate (bulldoze) 70% of the habitations on the dyke. This last week a group of residents arrived with tents and camped at the entrance to city hall protesting the cities intervention to save the dyke. I swung by and took some photos.

29809613498_8812bc3022_b.jpg

28790469247_94b1e264e0_b.jpg

29809623358_d4e7a8bb6a_b.jpg

43679508141_afdf01a62c_b.jpg

42962980124_c47611a42b_b.jpg

Very good story told by these photographs, sad to see folk sleeping on floors in this day and age.

Most reactions

Back