protester behind white house, US

What an intriguing character! I love the person in the image, but I'm not liking the lettering in the banner behind him. The look/outline is not consistent and it tends to draw my eye more than the actual subject of the image.

Did you sharpen this in post processing? Maybe the letters were affected differently due to the processing...maybe look at localized processing on the man and not the background.

But generally, a fun shot.

Thank for the response.
The letters appear exactly that way in reality. They have been behind vinyl for years and there is lots of blurring and smudging of the letters on the poster.
IMO, the lettering is important to the point because it places him in some context. Their incompleteness and lack of clarity should encourage the viewer to actually think about the person and his involvement and commitment.

Why is it you don't like them?

Lew

birlliant shot! but as it stands i have to agre about the lettering....its not the outlines that bother me but i feel that although it gives context to your subject it draws the attention away from him. maybe lowering the contrast/brightness in the banner or increasing the contrast/brightness of the subject (or both) may help.

I totally agree in terms of the importance of seeing the lettering behind the guy. Adds alot to the context and helps to tell the story.

What I don't like is how they look visually, whether from behind vinyl, processing or whatever else. I find their look is a bit strong. If the entire set of letters were like the ones on the bottom, then there wouldn't be an issue. But the top two lines, mainly "A Day, eace-vigil" have a really odd looking outline to them.

Try softening up the letters a bit with some blur. Just a bit though, so they stay almost readable.

you captured the 'twinkle' look in this guy's eyes really well. it makes him look friendly.

i agree with the lettering, it simply isn't nice to look at and the pp sharpening
doesn't help. but the letters are needed to show us that this is indeed a
protester or that there is a protest going on.

what we don't see is the white house, but i'll take your word for it that he is indeed behind it. :)

Your subject is spot-on.

The brightness of the banner in the top left of it does draw my eye, but it also makes me wander over the entire banner. The fact that all the lettering is not distinguishable isn't a detraction for me, quite the contrary, it adds to the message... the chaos. I don't need to know exactly what it says..... your subject speaks quite loudly on that matter.

Well done.

I give this a 10 out of 10. A very powerful photo. The face of the man really makes a statement and tells a story. Great technical aspects also with the spot on tones textures etc. Great great capture. Hold on to this one for sure.

Yup. Great capture. The lettering doesnt add context to your subject, it draws attention away from it.

I think overall its great though. Love the beard and hair. Its what pulls the shot off imo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back