Protocol for submitting images to magazines

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello-

SO, I'm at that point now where I feel brave enough to submit my work to magazines in the hopes of landing some freelance gigs. From my avatar, you'd be right in guessing that I'm targeting the maternity/baby market. :wink:

How should I go about sending my images? Do I put them on disk, send actual prints, or just include a link to my online portfolio? Thanks in advance to all!

You should pick up a copy of Photographer's Market 2007 (about $20, I think). It's just a great big book of people that want to buy photos (including lots of magazines), listed by subject, geographic area, etc. Most of the entries have their guidelines for submission listed.

I just happened to make some contacts with a couple of publications, and they will sometimes solicit year in review submissions. Then the people they know have ftp access. The editor makes his picks.

Otherwise I get credentials from the Mag. in advance and instructions what they want. I cover it and hope that they will use something.

Every pro photographer that I know ( I could be way off on this) ignores magazines. Too much work, for too little pay. Myself? I have a good time, I make a little and my friends know I'm never going to be competing with them for their bread and butter sales, which is direct to the subjects, teams, drivers Etc.

Photographers Market looks like a great source. I'm in a niche market right now. I should really buy a copy again and see what's out there.

VERY interesting answers, everyone! I figured I would go the magazine route because it would give me more credibility (and visibility) as a photog. Also, I have a magazine journalism background, so getting tear sheets is a big deal for me!!!! ;)

Thanks again!:hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back