Proud new owner of a 85mm/1.4 lens

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Nikon 85mm/1.4g. I sold my old camera and a couple of older lenses that I don't use anymore and took the plunge.

I'm so completely satisfied with this lens and it's honestly the first lens that has exceeded my expectations and blown me away. I have the 17-55 as well and was expecting it to be great and it was. I got what I expected. With the 85, I knew it was going to be great but not this great. It's definitely the most challenging lens I have used so far though. DoF is so thin at 1.4 and even at fast shutter speeds the slightest movement throws it off. Anyway, here are some daytime test shots. Keep in mind these are the very first shots I took with it. I was also in a bit of a rush to get back before rush hour started and the metro got packed. I know the focus is off in all of them.

DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

I also tried it out at night and while I didn't get any keepers since I was with some friends getting dinner, I was very impressed. The length is just so perfect for street photography for me and I couldn't be happier :)

Last edited:
I love these lenses for it's thin DOF but in my case the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM I am saving up to get it ASAP.
Happy shooting and show us your captures...

if you like hte 85 1.4, you would LOVE the 135 f2 DC

if you like hte 85 1.4, you would LOVE the 135 f2 DC
I want to add both of those to my aresenal sooner rather than later!

Congrats on the new toy!

mid range fast prime are unbeatable imo. i wish i could sell all my zooms (tamron 17-50, nikon 24-70 and sigma 70-200 )to get the whole primes arsenal from 20mm to 300!

mid range fast prime are unbeatable imo. i wish i could sell all my zooms (tamron 17-50, nikon 24-70 and sigma 70-200 )to get the whole primes arsenal from 20mm to 300!

I have the 20 to 400 range covered with primes with a hole between 58 & 100. I do not understand why the 85mm legacy lenses are so expensive in comparison to other focal lengths.

Most reactions

Back