Prove it!

PlasticSpanner said:
Oh! Should be a little note here just incase anyone tries to do it!

"Don't try to look at the sun through a telescope, binoculars, camera etc without the correct filters otherwise eye damage WILL occur!"

Sound silly but 100's of people do it every year!

I actually zoomed right in on the sun with a 70 - 300 lens...whoops...

I nearly did it with a telescope! Had it all set up for projecting onto a screen & for a moment bent down to look through the eyepeice to see if it was still lined up!:cyclops:

actually my mom looked at the sun for a while when she was a kid... she's now blind in parts of her left eye because of it... :meh:

Anyways... about proving that the Sun moves...

• A moon rotates around a planet
  • A planet rotates around a sun (star)
  • A sun rotates around the center of the galaxy (no one knows what the center of the galaxy is made of though)
The galaxies are made up of a LOT of Stars(suns) and there are many planets around each star.
We have never traveled outside of our galaxy. So we only know what it looks like from mapping out where our stars are and that's how we know it's a spiral galaxy.

So, even though we don't know what the center of the galaxy is made of... we DO know that the stars in the galaxy rotate around that center.

Whatever that rotates around.... it beyond anyone. They think that the galaxies are just floating around space... but I highly doubt that. (because they used to think that our solar system just floated through space and ours was the ONLY solar system.) :lol:

So, that's the proof... everything is attracted to gravity, and our sun is not the biggest thing out there... so it has to revolve around something bigger. :)

Hope that makes sense.
-chris

PlasticSpanner said:
Seems fine without the details!

All you gotta do now is say how you're gonna prove all that happens!:lol:
Well, it's a thing of trust...
YOU weren't the one who went into space and saw these things... YOU weren't the one who looked through a telescope and spent your whole life trying to figure this stuff out. YOU weren't the one who did math problems that took a super computer a week to compute.

But someone DID do all that. Either you trust their conclusion or you go find your own... if you don't want to do either... then don't try to make trouble. :)

It's as simple as that. :)

LittleMan said:
But someone DID do all that. Either you trust their conclusion or you go find your own... if you don't want to do either... then don't try to make trouble. :)

It's as simple as that. :)

Did you read this whole post? I suspect you've got the wrong end of the stick!:lol: :hugs:

Incidently, not that it's gonna do me any good if they were to ask the "other" question, I have seen the sunspots travelling across the sun. :thumbup:

PlasticSpanner said:
Did you read this whole post? I suspect you've got the wrong end of the stick!:lol: :hugs:

Incidently, not that it's gonna do me any good if they were to ask the "other" question, I have seen the sunspots travelling across the sun. :thumbup:
I don't understand... :scratch:

The question they pose is more about conclusive proof than theory and aside from actually going to the sun to show that it is actually rotating or taking them off the planet to see the whole universe in fast forward, how can anyone provide conclusive evidence!:lol:

I may have the wrong end of Littlemans stick actually! Were you telling me not to start causing trouble or proposing I tell the lads that!:lol: :confused:

The question they pose is more about conclusive proof than theory and aside from actually going to the sun to show that it is actually rotating or taking them off the planet to see the whole universe in fast forward, how can anyone provide conclusive evidence!:lol:

Space IS one big theory, so I think you are better off telling them to stop asking you, and tell them that if they do real good at school, they might be able to go there themselfes and find it out! :)

Most reactions

Back