Providing Images To Couple, What To Do?

BAB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have done many weddings on film, but am interested in transitioning over to digital. I have read a number of posts on this forum indicating that at least some of you are either providing images to the couple on either DVD or CD, in addition to other services, or with the idea that the couple then make or have their own prints made. My question is what file format are you giving the customer ie. JPEG, TIFF or other and why?

I would only give the customer JPEG files...unless they specifically asked for something else. Good quality JPEG files will allow them to make prints or edit then to their hearts desire. Saving as JPEG does cause some loss of data from the image....but with high quality images....it's not really an issue unless you open and save repeatedly.

One issue, is why you would be giving them the files. Is it just for proofing? In which case you would only want/need to give then low resolution images, possibly with a watermark on them. If you are giving them the files as a final product, then they should be full resolution.

When I started to shoot weddings last year, I decided I would only give my clients a low res proof CD as part of the package. I do have a full res dvd for sale for $1000. I found that by sticking to my guns about it, I am marketing myself to the couples who have money and value photographer. I dont really want to shoot for somebody who is try to lowball me from the start anyways.

Most reactions

Back