PS Elements and Aperture?

jackieclayton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mominmarianas.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this is probably a stupid question for most, but i seriously don't know...

If you had Aperture or Lightroom, would you need a program like photoshop as well? Or if you had photoshop, would you need a program like Lightroom or Aperture?

Just researching photo editing softwares since i'm only using the basic stuff on iphoto right now... i'd like to manage my files and thats why i was looking at Aperture, but I didn't know how it's editing capabilities compared to PS. And doesn't PS come with Bridge? Would you still need Aperture? I'm so confused! thanks!!

I don't know Aperture, so can't comment on it but here's my take with LR and PS.

PS allows you more individualized approach with images. When you hears pixel peepers/ drawing going on - thats the job for PS.
LR is a bit different in terms that you can also zoom in and do some basic pixel drawing but LR is more for an overall image manipulations: color, WB, crops, vignettes, etc. LR is GREAT for batch work - when you have 200images to go through, it allows you to do that amazingly fast!
Bridge: personally, regardless of recommendation of various photoshop courses, i have no use for bridge, but that's me and its probably b/c I don't know/understand its full use.

Now, you recently stirred some blood here with your fancy D700:lmao:... look into Nikon Capture. I ADORE it for RAW work and choose it over PS/LR. But again, its me and my preferences.

Good Luck

I have Lightroom and Elements.
If I have a lot of pics I do them in Lightroom. If I just have a few I do them in Elements.
I do different things in each one, so yeah for me I need both.

I have all of those programs (I can't decide between Lightroom and Aperture still).

Even though you can do "processing" in all of them, Lightroom and Aperture (being aptly named) are for cataloguing and categorizing after you have done your post-processing work.

Photoshop or elements is for compositing and layering.

If you do not need to do Compositing or layering, stick with Lightroom or Aperture because once it's all said and done, you can't live without a good cataloguing and categorizing tool .

My 2¢.

Cheers!

Now, you recently stirred some blood here with your fancy D700:lmao:... look into Nikon Capture. I ADORE it for RAW work and choose it over PS/LR. But again, its me and my preferences.

Good Luck

lol, i know right? at least i'm not asking about PS CS4 or something, id get reamed! lol

thanks... i'll check into all 3 of them... should have a free trial download or something. Thank you all for the tips!

Most reactions

Back