PS Elements or GIMP?

Patm1313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have GIMP. I'm quite familiar with it and use it like crazy. I don't have photoshop because, well... I don't have $700 burning a hole in my pocket, and because I'm satisfied for the time being with GIMP. But over the holidays a relative of mine bought me Photoshop Elements. The nice thing about Elements to me is that it will finally help keep my computer organized. However, I know that as far as image editing, it is not too amazing.

So my question is: If you had to choose PSE or GIMP for their photo editing qualities only, which one would you choose?

Thanks,
Patm1313

Photoshop. Until GIMP can crack the non-destructive editing problem regarding bit-depth.

Photoshop. Until GIMP can crack the non-destructive editing problem regarding bit-depth.

Yeah, I've noticed this, and it annoys the hell out of me. But GIMP has paths and more intricate adjustments on tools and filters. What say you?

I haven't used Photoshop for nearly ten years ;)
I use Faststone Image Viewer and GIMP.

Yeah, I've noticed this, and it annoys the hell out of me. But GIMP has paths and more intricate adjustments on tools and filters. What say you?
So does Photoshop, both Elements and CS5.

By the way Elements is only about $80. Photoshop CS5 is $700.

Photoshop Elements 9 is closer to GIMP than CS5 is but Elements still only has about 40% of the editinf capabilities that CS5 has.

If you already had CS2, CS3, or CS4 upgrading to CS5 would only cost $199. If you already had Elements 6, 7, or 8 you would get $100 (usually more than what you paid for elements) off the price of CS5 and it would only be $600.

Edit: Adobe offers educations discounts of up to 80% off to qualified buyers.
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended ($999 retail) can be purchased for $199.
http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...event=displayEduConditions&nr=0&promoid=FCRWP

Last edited:

So does Photoshop, both Elements and CS5.

By the way Elements is only about $80. Photoshop CS5 is $700.

Photoshop Elements 9 is closer to GIMP than CS5 is but Elements still only has about 40% of the editinf capabilities that CS5 has.

If you already had CS2, CS3, or CS4 upgrading to CS5 would only cost $199. If you already had Elements 6, 7, or 8 you would get $100 (usually more than what you paid for elements) off the price of CS5 and it would only be $600.

Edit: Adobe offers educations discounts of up to 80% off to qualified buyers.
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended ($999 retail) can be purchased for $199.
Adobe.com Site Requirements

I didn't quite understand what you said. Where you saying that Elements has paths? Obviously Photoshop has paths, but Elements doesn't.

Not that that is relevant at all now. I was unaware that photoshop offers student discounts to primary and secondary students. Photoshop CS5 for $199? Sold.

But on the topic of Photoshop Student and Teacher, is there some fine print crap going along with that? I plan to begin using Photoshop for a lot of commercial work in the very near future, and I have a feeling this is ruled out somewhere.

Not that that is relevant at all now. I was unaware that photoshop offers student discounts to primary and secondary students. Photoshop CS5 for $199? Sold.

But on the topic of Photoshop Student and Teacher, is there some fine print crap going along with that? I plan to begin using Photoshop for a lot of commercial work in the very near future, and I have a feeling this is ruled out somewhere.
You're right. Elements doesn't have a Pen tool, so no paths and I had it wrong.

No, you do not get Photoshop CS5 (retail $699) for $199. You get CS5 Extended (retail $999) for $199.

Adobe Student Editions can be used for commercial purposes only in North America.

Regular retail versions come with a use licens eallowing uploading the applkication on 2 computers. Student Editions only allow uploading on a single computer. Those are the only differences between a retail version and a Student Edition.

Note: You also gain the opportunity to purchase version upgrades at the upgrade pricing. Current upgrade pricing is $199 for CS and $349 for CS Extended. Having the Student Edition of CS5 allows upgrading to either Cs or the Extended version. Upgrade pricing is only granted to 3 versions back. Anyone with a legal, registered copy of CS2, 3, or 4 gets upgrade pricing for CS5.

Most reactions

Back