PS Help?

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have learned a ton around here by studying everything I can, but I am sure I need of more knowledge... and if anyone can make some suggestions here, I would appreciate it.

my question is.. Did I over cook this one in Neat Image, or using USM..

Focal Length 400 mm
Exposure Time 1/2500 sec
Aperture f/7.1 <<< I meant to be using 5.6 but I must have flipped the wheel by mistake. duuuh.
800 ISO

1 original with small levels adj.
DSC_8556levels1087websize.jpg

2 Neat Image Defualt .. "Filter and sharpen Image"
DSC_8556levelsNI1086websize.jpg

3 levels, Neat image and USM
amount 124%
Raduis 1.6 Pixels
Threshold 2 levels

DSC_8556levelsNIusm1085websize.jpg

I am not sure the end result looks life like.. IMO the duck look plastic.

I think I broke the rule in here concerning 1 pic per post, please mods, move this if needed.

to be honest, i don't think you have over done it at all. I think the last one is the best of the three. Looks like a real bird to me!

No ray, you haven't overcooked it......neat image tends to lighten shadows, whilst tiding up noise, this can sometimes have a bad effect, depending on the subject. But looking at your image, the most noticable difference is the black feathers on his back. The last of the three definately has better detail in this area, and the main wing is sharper. The only thing i would question is the finer pixelation that has occured (if you look very closely) around the end of his beak, and how that would effect it, if it went to print. Its difficult to say if it would be visable or not. Have you ever had any printed after using neat image?. But overall i think it looks better than the origional and you've got it at its max.......any more and the pixelation would become too noticable.
Good job ray :thumbup:

thanks guys.. i am a rook at this PS, and I need to read up more. I wish I was a better student, and could get into some tutorials, but I am usually trial and error.. and when i mess up, it's good to have you guys around to straighten me out.

Not overcooked at all.

Most reactions

Back