Pulling the trigger... Nikon D700.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JerryPH, Nov 17, 2008.

1. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Those are amazing, Jerry!! First shot I looked at, saw no noise and figured it was shot at ISO 800. Looked at exif and my jaw dropped when I saw it was taken at 6400!!!! Love the church shots especially!!

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :blushing: The ISO 6400 ones are not SOOC... I have applied noise reduction to them, but it is about 20% of what I would have had to apply to a ISO 1600 picture from the D200 (matter of fact, it is exactly 1/5th the intensity!). Even though, the noise is very low, especially at the luminescence, where on my D200, I would see red and green noise artifacts, there is none of that on the D700 at all, it is very "clean" noise, for lack of a better term. For me to start to see those artifacts, I have to crank it up to ISO 25,600... which I could not find a need to go over 6400 anywhere in that place, literally.

The ISO 3200 and down pics are untouched by noise reduction software but are sharpened and WB balanced. I always set sharpness very low in camera and WB on auto and adjust it later in post.

The low amount of noise this camera generates at higher ISO is incredible. I knew it was good, but not THAT good. I also cannot get over how warm and sharp the shots that come out of this camera show.

That first ISO 6400 shot was taken on a Sigma 10-20mm lens at F/7.1 (hand held), which is a DX lens and that causes the pics to drop from 12MP to 5MP. I was told that DX lens pictures came out really crappy on these FX cameras and I think that is just not true... though, of course I prefer using FX lenses on this camera for best effect, I just don't have a UWA for the D700... yet. :)

3. G. Ike

G. Ike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Every time I see any shots from the D700 or D3 I'm always so amazed with the performances at high ISOs. I envy you, JerryPH ;)

4. DWS

DWS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    add another one on its way! :mrgreen:

5. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey hey, hey... one or two more and we could almost ask for our own subforum here... LOL!

Congrats! :D

6. DWS

DWS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    and contributions for the recently impoverished :lol:

7. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was happy when I upgraded to my D300 from the D70. I thought the lack of noise was awesome... You made my wife very unhappy Jerry, now she has to hear me whine about wanting a FX...

8. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure you can send me a picture of her crying on your shoulder and you consoling her... in FX format one day... lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Darn it, Jerry, you are trying VERY hard to cost me $3K US...

10. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    $$ $ $ $ $ $ $ :cry:

Man, be generous with your D300. The path to heaven is very narrow so I heard, but Australian door is wide open for anything that is free. We are very thankful people too even before the goods arrive. Your sadness is not necessarily bad thing if it makes the other side smiling.

:razz:

11. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tested out a few shots at maximum ISO ad then forgot all about them. Well, today I took them out and of course expected the pictures to be unusable. The focus point was the glass at the back, and it came close to nailing the focus on the head.

ISO 25,600, straight from the camera:
    [​IMG]
    (click on the pic for a bigger size to see the real ugly... lol)

It is really harsh and visible, and not something that I would share with a paying client, however, it doesn't seem as intrusive as my D200's ISO 3200 was... with a lot less noise at the luminescence level.

The same picture again, but this time I just applied a hefty amount of noise reduction using Imagenomic's Noiseware Pro:
    [​IMG]
    (click on the pic for a bigger size)

Now, it is still not what I would call "client worthy" as you see a ton of artifacts all over the place... but, one has to remember... ISO 25,600... that is as high as I can get the camera to go and as bad as I can get the noise to get and still pull back into some semblance of a usable picture, which I think it is... very usable. I don't see the great loss in detail vs applying the same amount of NR to a D200/ISO3200 pic.

Now, before people say all this is, is a bright room pic at ISO 25,600, which would NOT show near the same amount of noise... I ask that you look at the EXIF:

Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25th)
    Aperture: f/8
    Focal Length: 70 mm
    ISO Speed: 25600
    Lens: Nikkor 70-200 @ 70mm

That's 1/25th... HAND HELD at F/8 and ISO 25,600. The room was dark... very dark (as in past 8:30PM dark). Now, there was one light turned on, but it was from the other room (in the kitchen, this pic was from the dining room), and it was a single 40 watt light that is above our stove in one of those fan/light units (that thing that draws out all the smoke when you burn something on the stove... lol).

Again, I am pretty stunned with what this camera can do... and even when it does "bad", it's not that bad and can be pulled back to what I call a savable state.

This has to be a wedding photographer's dream camera!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  12. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I was tempted to outperform you with my D40 at 3200 f/8 - and I only manage with 1.3 seconds SS :lol:. No I am not going to spend any money as I promised to myself, until next year. Promise not to be broken.

Anyway thanks for the sample mate. And thanks for small sample instead of 60 mb of Canon :mrgreen:.