Pulling the trigger on the Olympus e620 - decent price for everything?

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for the many responses I've gotten over the past week as I've thought about getting an SLR. I elected to splurge and invest in the Olympus, and get some extra lenses I thought might be useful. I'm going through B&H Photo, as they seem to be pretty reputable. I thought the prices were decent compared to Ebay, and I'll be saving some money over going locally to National Camera, a good company but a little pricey.

Olympus E-620 SLR Digital Camera with 14-42mm & 40-150mm Zoom Lenses
$799.95

Olympus 70-300 mm zoom lens, $329.95
Olympus RM-UC1 Remote Cable Release $44.95 (I love night, sunset photos and think this would be a good investment rather than touching the camera and holding down the shutter).

Hoya 58mm filter kit - UV, Circular Polarizer, and Warming Filter and pouch $54.95

I decided to save $5 and pick up a memory card locally, along with a battery charger at Best Buy. For all this, it's $1,245.15. I could have gotten the camera and three lenses used on ebay for $825 total with shipping, but unfortunately the auction ended early, so it's about $300 more to get it all new. I suppose the upside is it's new, and while the seller had good reviews I don't have to worry about what he did to the lens (or the real story on why he's selling it after just a couple of months).

All in all I think the price is fair - any thoughts as to if I could have done better? (I'll wait to finalize the purchase to see if anyone thinks I'm spending too much, but I think it sounds pretty good to me). The only thing I'm a little torn on are the filters; basically I just want to protect the lens, but the kit seemed decent especially for shooting outside.

Thanks again for the help - I think it'll be a great system to get my feet wet in SLR photography. I intend to use my Canon Powershot sx10 still quite a bit too.

Thanks!
Padre Paul

Hey saw your post about this camera. How is it performing so far? Considering purchasing same unit.

Jack

Most reactions

Back