Puppy C&C

nikki_hd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! My cousin has a 1.5 year old Labrador mix who doesn't know any real commands and has energy for dayyyys. I wanted to practice getting some candid shots so I brought the pup out back and chased him around with the camera until he got tired enough to stay still for a few seconds. Here's my favorite of the shots I got. I know his body is a bit awkward in the back, but thought it kind of fits him, seeing as how goofy he is. Any C&C would be appreciated!

Taken with my Canon 60D, f/1.8, 1/400, in late afternoon shade, light exposure adjusting in Photoshop.

$14838639768_f5549553b7_o.jpg

Rule #1 of owning a fast prime (I'm assuming the 50mm f1.8): Just because the lens has a large maximum aperture doesn't mean it's okay to use it at that aperture all the time. I'm guessing your DoF here was in the order of 4"; his eyes are sharp, which is critical, but his nose is very soft as are his ears. Opinions vary, but I am NOT a fan of soft foreground elements in portraits (at least when those elements are part of the subject). Going to an aperture of f8 and moving back to, say, 6' would have given you sufficient DoF to have his whole head sharp. I also think a vertical orientation (portrait) would have worked better here. It would have eliminated most of the body and given more room around the head. On the plus side, I'm sure he's always up for a reshoot, and you can get a workout in the bargain!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back