Purchased a Canon 24-105mm 4L lens today

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Will be using it on my T1i. I'd be using it as a replacement of my kit lens but also I believe this will come in handy for wedding/portrait shots as well. Any thoughts on this guys?

i think my thoughts coincide with tylers thoughts now that i think about it.

Watch for the extreme barrel distortion from 24mm up to about 40mm--the lens is rather bad on rectilinear subjects at the short end. It's an okay lens...I wish it were sharper at the long end, but hey, it's got a lot of zoom range, IS, and it's a one-lens walkaround solution. I use mine quite a bit. It's probably the single best compromise lens Canon has for FF users at this date. ENjoy it. Just test it out and make sure it doesn't have any decentered lens elements,and that all four corners have about equal sharpness.

Thanks Darrel. Got it Brand new but I will test it out. I've got a few people that's agreed to take me to weddings with them as a tag along. I've read some reviews on other sites that have used this lens for wedding photos and have gotten great results, even at night shots. So I am looking forward to it. I don't plan on doing any huge weddings anytime soon but I feel it'll be a good one to use at first. Another cool thing, working for a florist, we have so many wedding clinets so I already have that as my potential clients (of course after I practice a few weddings).

24mm on a crop 1.3x sensor might not be wide enough for weddings.

You can make it work. I use a 35mm on a crop for my wide angle, and have yet to miss a shot because it was not wide enough. I'd say I only capture maybe 300 images with it in a day though, 90% of my shooting is with my 70-200 f2.8 or 120-300 f2.8. Thats just the way I work.

You can make it work. I use a 35mm on a crop for my wide angle, and have yet to miss a shot because it was not wide enough. I'd say I only capture maybe 300 images with it in a day though, 90% of my shooting is with my 70-200 f2.8 or 120-300 f2.8. Thats just the way I work.

True, everybody style of shooting is different, but I think in general, you will need a true wide to cover all angles.

True, everybody style of shooting is different, but I think in general, you will need a true wide to cover all angles.

Yeah I've thought of that also. But this is more of "best of both worlds" where I get wide angle with some zoom. But like I said, I'm going to practice practice practice and when I start doing a few weddings on my own, I will also look into the 10-22mm. I'm excited about the 24-105 though as I have a few trips coming up in a month.

congrats on the lens! if you're shooting weddings, you're gonna probably end up wanting the 2.8....

congrats on the lens! if you're shooting weddings, you're gonna probably end up wanting the 2.8....

Thanks! Yeah I was debating both and read pros/cons for both. Also read some articles on google of people comparing the two for weddings and said the f/4 wasn't a big issue for interior night shots. Time will tell.....wish Amazon would over night that thing to me! :lol:

Yeah I've thought of that also. But this is more of "best of both worlds" where I get wide angle with some zoom. But like I said, I'm going to practice practice practice and when I start doing a few weddings on my own, I will also look into the 10-22mm. I'm excited about the 24-105 though as I have a few trips coming up in a month.

I'm curious why you decided to go with the 24-105mm. I ask because I notice you have a 18-55, a 50prime, and 75-300mm. that pretty much covers all ranges. Seems if you're going to upgrade, you should go with faster lens, like the 24-70 f2.8

I'm curious why you decided to go with the 24-105mm. I ask because I notice you have a 18-55, a 50prime, and 75-300mm. that pretty much covers all ranges. Seems if you're going to upgrade, you should go with faster lens, like the 24-70 f2.8

The 75-300 is borrowed from a family friend and sometimes I get tired or keep switching the lens between that and the kit lens. If I need wider angle, I can always switch to the kit lens for now which I'll probably do rarely. I wanted both semi-wide angle and semi telefoto which is why I went with that one instead of the 24-70

Most reactions

New Topics

Back