Purchasing a Macro lens

Boballoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to get into macro photography (the bugs here in Japan are spectacular!) but I know nothing about it. I do know that there are people and companies selling "Macro capable" lenses which are not really Macro, but telephoto lenses. The problem is I do not know how to tell the difference. Aside from asking the seller and looking at the original specifications, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]I am unclear about how to figure out if a specific lens will fit my Nikon D40. For example, there is a lens on Ebay for sale called a "[/FONT]Nikon Af 70-300AF Nikkor 70-300 + Macro. 4.5-5.6" It is called a "Macro" but then in the description it says:

Focal Length Type: Zoom
Focal Length:70-300 mm
Type: Macro/Close Up, Telephoto

Obviously I am a beginner, but I would appreciate any help you might provide.

Is the seller tossing in a close-up filter?

The lens you just mentioned is not a macro lens.
What you have to look for in the description is the 1:1 magnification, this is the sign of a true macro lens
this link will give more info on that 1:1 magnification is
Macro photography: Understanding magnification: Digital Photography Review
A true macro lens opens up a world of possibilities. enjoy the experience!

I would like to get into macro photography (the bugs here in Japan are spectacular!) but I know nothing about it. I do know that there are people and companies selling "Macro capable" lenses which are not really Macro, but telephoto lenses. The problem is I do not know how to tell the difference. Aside from asking the seller and looking at the original specifications, I am unclear about how to figure out if a specific lens will fit my Nikon D40. For example, there is a lens on Ebay for sale called a "Nikon Af 70-300AF Nikkor 70-300 + Macro. 4.5-5.6" It is called a "Macro" but then in the description it says:

Focal Length Type: Zoom
Focal Length:70-300 mm
Type: Macro/Close Up, Telephoto

Obviously I am a beginner, but I would appreciate any help you might provide.

Not a macro lens... will do at most 1/2 to 1/3 lifesize... a true macro lens will do 1:1 or lifesize magnification. There are very few "True" telephoto MACRO lenses.. and they are not cheap! There are a lot of telephotos that claim some limited macro capability.. and will work within those limits. There are many true macro lenses (primes - single length, not zooms) that will give you much better quality. There are ways (tubes, filters) to make any lens do some macro if needed.

Since there's no formal / legal / official definition of macro, manufacturers are free to call any lens a macro lens. However, the 1:1 ratio is generally accepted as the 'start' of the macro range.

If you want a real macro lens... I would suggest either the Tokina 100mm 2.8 or the Tamron 90mm macro. They are easy to find used.. and are great lenses. Anything short than the 85 to 90 range requires getting really close to the subject, which scares the bugs, and also makes them hard to light. 100mm is probably best... but the 90mm is a bargain for what it will do.

There are images from the Nikon 85mm macro, the Tokina 100mm macro and the Nikon 105mm macro in my Flickr if you would like some examples....

As a guide this is what a 70-300 will give you at its greatest magnification:

3235277616_3d1c9bb721_z.jpg

And this is what a true macro lens will give you at 1:1 magnification ratio
3234315137_a66585f1d9_z.jpg

As a guide this is what a 70-300 will give you at its greatest magnification:

And this is what a true macro lens will give you at 1:1 magnification ratio

Nice shot on the second one, btw!

I'm not sure if this is off topic, but how are macro conversion lenses? Naturally they are probably not as good as a real macro lens, but do they manage to come close in terms of quality when paired with a decent lens?

I've had my eyes on a conversion lens from Raynox (DCR-250) for a while now. The photographs that some people have taken using this look very nice (at least to me :) ).

I'm not sure if this is off topic, but how are macro conversion lenses? Naturally they are probably not as good as a real macro lens, but do they manage to come close in terms of quality when paired with a decent lens?

I've had my eyes on a conversion lens from Raynox (DCR-250) for a while now. The photographs that some people have taken using this look very nice (at least to me :) ).

The Raynox's are very good lenses for what they are... I have the DCR 250 and love it. The fly shown on the right in my sig, was shot with that lens on a Tokina 100. I highly recommend them... but they work even better on a real macro lens, giving greater then 1:1 magnification.

This was also shot using the Raynox DCR250 (and a full set of tubes, and a Tokina 100 on a D7000)

It is the end of a broken grain of rice...

$rice-End-100.jpg

Wow, I guess the Raynox lenses are good and get better if paired with an actual macro lens! It just moved up a few notches on my wishlist. :)

Thank you so much everyone! This is a great place. After checking the links you gave me here and researching some of the things you have all mentioned, I think I am ready to go shopping. BTW, I love the pictures of bugs in your signature cgipson1. That is what I want to do. There are bugs here called "kabuto mushi" with a horn and antlers like a miniature rhino-moose. I am going to have fun this year. Thanks again.

Thank you so much everyone! This is a great place. After checking the links you gave me here and researching some of the things you have all mentioned, I think I am ready to go shopping. BTW, I love the pictures of bugs in your signature cgipson1. That is what I want to do. There are bugs here called "kabuto mushi" with a horn and antlers like a miniature rhino-moose. I am going to have fun this year. Thanks again.

Glad you like the shots... and call me Charlie! Lighting is a large aspect of macro... if you would like a hand, let me know! Or just ask here.. we have a lot of good macro photographers! :)

Most reactions

Back