Purchasing a new lens - Help

RedIrishFox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello friends,

I am considering on purchasing a new lens in the next week. I have followed some postings through this site and although it has been helpful, I have yet to find my answer. I am torn on what I want my new lens to do. I am looking for a lens that will provide me wide-angle, yet be able to zoom.

I leaving for another trip to China in a couple of weeks - and on the last visit I kept wishing I had two things; an external flash and a wide angle lens. I have recently purchased a flash, which I LOVE, it has changed my photos. But, I am still hesitant on purchasing a wide angle, mostly because I would like my lens to be a walk-about lens. Wide angle is great for the temples and sites, but I want to be able to snap photos of the locals and things that are within arms length (not just buildings and structures) and not have to continuously change my lens.

Shopping around and researching lenses - I think I have narrowed down my search to Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM or Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM.

My primary question is will either of the two lenses do what I am looking for? And, am I missing or failed to notice another lens?

I am on a budget, so price is a concern. The 17-40 is at the top of my price range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to participating more on this site. Thanks in advance!

(Current gear: Canon Rebel XSi w/ kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II)

Well, they are quite different lenses. The 17-40 is a wide zoom. The 70-200 is a telephoto zoom, meaning it zooms in quite a bit more than the other, but doesn't zoom out wide. There are many lenses that you are missing, but if you wanted an all-in-one lens, sigma makes 18-250mm, tamron makes 18-270mm, and canon makes 18-200mm lenses. All of these lenses will work well for everything between wide and telephoto, and will replace both of the lenses you mentioned. The optical quality isn't on-par with the two you listed, but the convenience of not having to switch lenses or buy more than one will pay off!

Mark

I think I have narrowed down my search to Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM or Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM
I'm confused. You say that you are looking for a wide angle lens, yet you are looking at the 70-200mm :scratch:

The angle of view is determined by the focal length of the lens...which is right in the name. The shorter the focal length, the wider the view you will have.

So while the 17-40mm is a very nice lens, 17mm is only one millimeter shorter than the 18mm of your 18-55mm lens. So basically the same angle of view.

If you really want a lens with a wider view, you will need something with a shorter focal length. For example, the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, or the Sigma 10-20mm, or the Tonkina 11-16mm or the Sigma 8-16mm.

I think I will defiantly look into those lenses - thanks Mark!

Most reactions

Back